Chirping

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Wolfy

Chirping

Post by Mr Wolfy » 17 Sep 2013, 15:49

Hi I'm incubating a few eggs for a friend (first time, experimenting) 2day is there 19th day so as I opened up the incubator to do my "lock down" I heard a few chirps!!!! excited confused shocked hit me all at once :grin: :shock: , I no this is a good sign but my question is - do they always chirp at 19 days I had it in my head this would only happen when they wher ready to come out! But surly not at 19days???
Last edited by Mr Wolfy on 18 Sep 2013, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Chirping

Post by kated » 17 Sep 2013, 15:54

It's quite normal - some of us will admit to making cluck cluck broody noises to encourage them :oops:

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 17 Sep 2013, 15:56

It's not an exact science and can vary by a few days either way if temps are a bit high/low, and to some degree breed dependant. Just leave them to it now and see what happens. I'm sure the first time it's as nerve racking as actually having a human baby. Although the chickens don't moan when you go home to watch the football half way through labour :shock: :lol:

Good luck :thumbright:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Mr Wolfy

Post by Mr Wolfy » 17 Sep 2013, 17:09

Cheers guys, it is quite exciting even though ther not my eggs/chicks, incubator is on lock down now and left to it hope everything go's ok

subruss

Post by subruss » 17 Sep 2013, 19:41

Many a time I have gone to up the humidity and stop the auto turner on day 19 to find a chick sat there looking at me, then its a case of O SH 1 t, I havent got the brooder set up :lol:

Mr Wolfy

Post by Mr Wolfy » 18 Sep 2013, 14:41

So day 20 and the chirping has stopped should I be worried?

Miss Chooks
Chick
Chick

Post by Miss Chooks » 21 Sep 2013, 20:17

I have nil experience when it comes to eggs/chicks but I love reading the threads on them. How are things going?

Mr Wolfy

Post by Mr Wolfy » 21 Sep 2013, 20:29

No to good for some reason none servived, didn't even pip no idea what went wrong very very disappointed especial when I thought everything was going well with the chirping

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 21 Sep 2013, 20:42

What settings did you have the incubator at and did you up the humidity after locking it down ??
You would normally wait till day 25 to abandon all hope of anything hatching.

Miss Chooks
Chick
Chick

Post by Miss Chooks » 21 Sep 2013, 21:56

Oh no, what a shame, especially as you did hear them cheeping :(

Mr Wolfy

Post by Mr Wolfy » 22 Sep 2013, 19:25

Incubator was kept at the same temp 38oC and humidity was raised to 70-80 was no point in waiting till 25 days as there was no movement or sign of life and when opened they where dead :cry:
Next time I'm thinking of trying a dry hatch to see if it helps as I've heard people have had good results from doing this :shock:

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 22 Sep 2013, 20:57

You need to try to figure out what went wrong and theres a lot to consider,condition of breeding stock the eggs came from,storage of eggs before incubation,time of season they were set,location of incubator,were the eggs candled or handled too often,was the incubator opened too much,what stage did the majority of the chicks get to,it could have been only a few that were chirping and how did the chicks look when the eggs were opened,some fully developed,all fully developed,very wet in appearance or very dry,were they in the right position to pip from the shells,were the yolks fully absorbed or nearly fully absorbed. I would try again in the Spring if i was you and bring the temp down to between 37.5 and 37.7 if its a forced air inccy. So plenty to consider before going the dry incubation route which is actually the way i incubate in a forced air Brinsea.