Egg mystery!!

Moderator: Moderators

Camarlie

Egg mystery!!

Post by Camarlie » 14 Sep 2013, 09:31

Hi everyone! I've been pointed to this forum with an egg mystery! We have 3 chickens who when bought (POL) at 22 weeks were happily laying everyday for well over a month. Then, on the same day all three stopped laying- 2 Sussex and a Limousin- we have checked for mites, increased food, changed food, changed bedding, set traps in the surrounding buildings with no sign of any animals, almost slept with them to see if anything is disturbing their sleep! and we are still eggless. It's 5 weeks now and still no eggs? our other chickens are coming up for 20 weeks too and I hope whatever is affecting the 3 girls will not upset my others. All three are perky, active, nice red combs, no weight lost -
We do have a Coq who is a bit over zealous - he attacks us ! - could this be a factor?

Any suggestions? I really need your help!!!!
Camarlie

NannyP

Re: Egg mystery!!

Post by NannyP » 14 Sep 2013, 09:39

Salut Carmalie and welcome.

I hope you get some answers to this mystery. I know I spoke to you about checking for red mite at night whilst the hens are roosting, did you do that?

Diane
Hen
Hen

Post by Diane » 14 Sep 2013, 11:59

Well, that's a mystery indeed. I'm wondering if one of them has developed the dreaded egg eating habit - but, if so, I'm sure you might have seen a few bits of egg shells around or at least one hen with a very eggy face :roll:

I can only suggest you create an absolute chicken alcatraz and maybe foil an egg thief....or maybe they've decided to lay in a secret place somewhere. Where are you keeping them - henhouse with attached run, shed and free range, barn and yard? Are there lots of nooks and crannies for predators? Having a cockerel shouldn't make a difference to egg laying. Sorry not to be more help.

Let us know if you solve the mystery.

Camarlie

Post by Camarlie » 14 Sep 2013, 20:50

Diane, they are kept in a out-building of a barn on a night which is very secure and during the day they are free to roam a fenced area. We have ruled out thieves, both human and animal. nanny P - I've done as you suggested and no sign of mites. I have also checked each laying bird and their bits and bobs are all clean and happy looking ! :-k

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 15 Sep 2013, 07:24

Crows are a possibility, but also the natural cycle of pure breed hens. A Light Sussex in full lay at 22 weeks is unusual, though common for a hybrid. They may have simply 'shut up shop', but being Light Sussex, should start again early in the new year as they have a reputation for being good winter layers.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

subruss

Post by subruss » 15 Sep 2013, 10:15

Before we start killing crows, interrogating innocent chicken about egg eating, murdering the local wildlife or requesting medical intervention(hyberbole). :) how about considering they are just taking a break or moulting it does happen. Mine are doing it at the moment 2 eggs from eleven birds :) :thumbright:

Camarlie

Post by Camarlie » 15 Sep 2013, 12:10

Subruss - I would like to agree with you but I found it odd that one the same day they all decided to give up laying!? Whilst there are many more feathers than usual in the shed, I was led to believe that the first moult was when they are a bit older - no animals were harmed during the writing of this email - don't fret!!
If push comes to shove I have a few terriers that can take up position over night outside the coop in case of Mr Renard is popping by....... I'm sure that will help him decide that it's better to go elsewhere for his tea :)

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 15 Sep 2013, 16:37

Blimey, I don't think anyone mention "killing" crows, or murdering the local wildlife......poor Carmalie, a newish chicken keeper is trying to work out what might have happened. Please offer helpful suggestions.

Merci

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 15 Sep 2013, 17:08

Come, come Nanny P, that's not like you to overlook the fact that it was said in jest. Actually a crow flying off with an egg in its beak is very funny - especially when you know it's a rubber one.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

subruss

Post by subruss » 16 Sep 2013, 10:55

Nanny P I did say (hyperbole) exaggeration to emphasize. Back to the question Yes they can all stop laying at the same time and do all mine stopped within a couple of days and only 2 started to lay again about 2 weeks later some of them I dont expect to lay again until early next year,I have another couple who will happily lay through the winter months they are just reddening up now. It was because you were new to poultry I was pointing out in the vast majority of cases the reasons for thing like this happening are normal and easily explained in contrast to, things can only be solved with money and extreme methods. Warning some people on here will have you giving them hot breakfasts next :lol: :thumbright:

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 17 Sep 2013, 10:50

Sorry I missed the humour, we had guests here and I was not up to scratch.

8-[ 8-[

Miss Chooks
Chick
Chick

Post by Miss Chooks » 17 Sep 2013, 12:03

Whilst there are many more feathers than usual in the shed,

Could this be a moult or broody? When my LS goes broody I can guarantee the other will follow the next day ](*,)