growers and electric fencing

Moderator: Moderators

soufle
Chick
Chick

growers and electric fencing

Post by soufle » 01 Aug 2013, 22:15

So, Ive got my growers in a pen , seven of them in a 12 x 4' run. Soon I'd like to given them more room and want to get some electric fence netting same as I have for the big girls. The young ones seem to have the urge for flyin g and am wondering if wing clipping is ok for the growers. I suspect that they'll be over the top of the wire pretty soon I have fine netting over the run or I'm sure they would have been out before.. My layers have been really good and havnt even tried. They're CLBs.
thanks

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: growers and electric fencing

Post by drfish » 02 Aug 2013, 09:31

My CLB likes to have good fly around the pen, but has so far resisted the urge to do a Houdini act. Don't see any reason why you can't clip the wing, but it'll probably need doing regularly while they are still growing.

Someone suggested duck taping (think it was henwife) the other day, that might be a more suitable solution in the short term.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 03 Aug 2013, 22:47

they're such prtetty things thats it a shame to clip their wings . Tape might be an idea but Idont know if it will last long and what it might do. I need to keep them in , last night after I locked up we heard a fox. Hub went out with his gun but the blighter had gone.
I have got a roll approximately 100 metres of four inch mesh green plastic plant support. It might be possible to use it over head .Wont be easy though mmm??

el_cloughie
Chick
Chick

Post by el_cloughie » 12 Aug 2013, 17:03

I've got 9 RIRs around 10 weeks old now I think, totally free-range as they jump & squeeze right through the electric fence, they're getting some pretty good flght muscles now and zoom around the run or garden two foot above ground level. They've not tried to go super high yet luckily, not that they need to while they can still slip through the fence of course.
I've considered that I might need to clip their wings but as they're bantam-ish sized at the minute I wasn't too sure quite how far down the feather the blood supply goes at this stage and wanted to wait until they are the more familiar POL or cookpot size before taking the risk. Perhaps a slightly paranoid approach but I can't remember anything I've read about wing clipping that mentions non-adult birds.

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 17 Aug 2013, 21:19

oh dear el_cloughie ,that dosnt fill me with confidence. Ive adopted the old 'when in doubt do nowt' policy .Theyre getting big though and I have to move their run more regularly so I'm going to have to make a decision soon. Still havnt bought the electric fencing though but hopefully will do soon, just as soon as Ive saved up me pennies..

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 18 Aug 2013, 09:58

You can get a slightly smaller bantam electric net which seemsto work quite well as it requires more effort to get through, meaning there's a good chance of a shock for the potential escapist. Duck tape the flight feathers on one wing together as a bunch. It will stay on 3 or 4 weeks which is quite often long enough to discourage thoughts of flight.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 28 Sep 2013, 20:35

goodness ... I must be losing me marbles. I'm covering the same ground twice .I dont remember this post at all .
I think I will try the duck tape way and see what happens,
Thanks , Henwife !
Tomorrow is the day, Hubby and I spent some time today cutting grass ,moving the house and run and putting the elctric netting up. Fingers crossed that events dont rurn into the Great escape.

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 30 Oct 2013, 15:00

quick update on this one. I cut the wing feathers on one side (we ambushed them one by one as they came out of the pop hole) and then let them out Nothing much happened thankfully although I do have one who can jump the wire and does frequently.She does however come running when she sees me to put her back in as she hasnt got the return journey figured out yet.
So, no great excitement , thank goodness.
Thanks to all who gave advice.

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 30 Oct 2013, 15:48

I have found with my birds that there are always two or three that dot backwards and forwards over the electric fence. Nothing I do stops them - I think they must just have extra strong leg muscles. I have half a dozen Leghorns, and whereas five are happy to stay where they are put, the sixth is rarely where she is supposed to be.

I don't worry about them staying out overnight as I am lucky to have trees near the runs, and they are so agile that they sleep high in the branches.

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 30 Oct 2013, 20:18

Hi Lindsay ,it seems to be the same one all the time, she's a lighter bird than the others so maybe more of an athlete . She dosnt go far though and not as far as the trees...yet.
We've foxes all around so it does worry me a bit.