Don't think I could be anymore STUPID!!!

Moderator: Moderators

wizbit

Don't think I could be anymore STUPID!!!

Post by wizbit » 28 Feb 2013, 13:56

My autoturner wasn't working on my brinsea, so my husband very kindly "fixed" it for me :shock: It worked fine for the first hatch.
I've got Embden goose eggs in there now and tomorrow is the day to stop turning, so I've been watching the autoturner so I can switch it off when it's level - only it's NOT TURNING AT ALL! How can I have missed this??? I am so STUPID :roll:
I don't even know how long it's been like it, could have been for the whole of incubation :cry:

What makes it worse, is that the incubator is in the house, I walk past it all the time, I check the temp and humidity all the time and have candled the eggs at day 9 and again yesterday. I know goose eggs are notoriously hard to see much going on, but the goslings are still in there growing and moving.

Do you think these are going to hatch and if they do, are they going to be ok?

Nightmare ](*,)

ladyplumber

Re: Don't think I could be anymore STUPID!!!

Post by ladyplumber » 28 Feb 2013, 14:36

Firstly, stop thinking half empty ........... half full is much better for your sanity ! :grin:

Secondly, you're NOT stupid, those autoturners turn so gradually you can barely see it turn, and even then you have to be staring at it for a minute or two. I've just had a hatch, and I can safely say I haven't checked that it was turning since day 1 so it's easily done. I think you'll get a nice surprise come hatch day , good luck ! :thumbright:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

wizbit

Post by wizbit » 28 Feb 2013, 14:57

Will keep you posted. Thanks for being so encouraging :)

wizbit

Post by wizbit » 04 Mar 2013, 18:06

Looks like you were right, 2 goslings hatched today - just goes to show I guess. One of them seems to have a small prolapse though, do you think it will shrink on it's own?

millipup

Post by millipup » 04 Mar 2013, 21:54

in a word ....yes ! Best just leave it be ,as the gosling grows -and they grow SO quickly - it will be absorbed ,most likely .If it seems at all "weepy " ,a puff of wound powder wouldnt hurt ........oh ,and congratulations !!

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 04 Mar 2013, 22:07

Yaaay ! Well done ! :bounce: Half full ? :lol:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

wizbit

Post by wizbit » 04 Mar 2013, 23:12

ha, ha, yes def half full :lol:

The prolapse has already shrunk considerably as the gosling is drying. I thought I'd leave them both in the inccy tonight and then put them under the lamp tomorrow. They seem to be attached to me already and try to stand up and climb out of the inccy when I come over to see them - so, so sweet. Can't quite believe they are both for christmas dinner :( Although I do realise they won't be quite so sweet when they are fully grown-up......

debcat
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by debcat » 04 Mar 2013, 23:42

I hatched some 4 years ago for Xmas dinner, they are still waddling round the field :oops:
we're all sane it's the rest of the world thats mad!

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 05 Mar 2013, 12:11

Geese bond with whoever rears them.............and you eally think you're going to be able to kill & eat them?
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

wizbit

Post by wizbit » 05 Mar 2013, 12:24

Um, well, errr, maybe :?

Thing is, my family are used to me rearing and killing chickens, ducks, turkeys, bottle fed lambs, etc. etc. for the table. I go on and on and on and on at them about the life animals have BEFORE you eat them that's as important as how they get killed. I could no more eat supermarket meat than fly....

However, not done geese before now and they are really, really cute. I expect when the time comes, it will be fine, my husband will have no compunction about killing them. They will have a great life, stress free, acres of grass & sunshine. :sunny: