Why pale yolks?

Moderator: Moderators

Why pale yolks?

Postby Liseyloo » 28 Oct 2011, 18:58

Evening all,

Sorry if this is a re-post, I have skimmed through this section and didnt see too much.

The 2 hen of ours that are laying are producing eggs with pale yolks (they have only just come into lay). I have read that yellow yolks are produced as a result of what they are fed.

Our hens are fed on layers pellets ready available all day, they have a couple of good handfuls of spinach in the early afternoons (they are dubious of greens and are deciding what they like I think) they then have their corn in the later afternoon. They have garlic in their water. They look very healthy, very inquisitive and seem happy.

As yet they do not free range in our garden but do have a massive run area, they will come out eventually tho.

Is there Anything I am missing?

Thanks folks

Lisa
Liseyloo

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Why pale yolks?

Postby tweedy » 28 Oct 2011, 19:03

Nothing to worry about your doing everything right, the eggs will get better in colour, there only youngsters. Depending on what make of feed your using as some have additives to enhance the yolk colour.
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby sunnys » 28 Oct 2011, 19:04

sounds like they are youngsters that you haven't had very long.
the egg colour is adjusted by diet but it does take a while to filter through so it may be that it will take a little time for your good layers and greens to effect their egg yolk colour. also they are just in lay- first eggs can be a bit hit or miss on quality until they settle into lay.
don't think you can do much more then wait :grin:
sunnys
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 42 posts

Postby Captain Carrot » 28 Oct 2011, 19:11

when I kept giant land snails, I never used to feed spinach due to the high amount of Oxalic acid that spinach has. It binds with calcium can can prevent the snails from absorbing calcium which they need to grown healthy strong shells.

Just a thought, but of the hens do get a large regular ammount of the spinach, it may or may not effect the egg shells. Just something to think about.
Altsteirer, Bielefelders, Welsummer bantams, Silkies and Muscovy ducks (sold a load of them :) )
Captain Carrot
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Liseyloo » 28 Oct 2011, 19:16

Captain Carrot wrote:when I kept giant land snails, I never used to feed spinach due to the high amount of Oxalic acid that spinach has. It binds with calcium can can prevent the snails from absorbing calcium which they need to grown healthy strong shells.

Just a thought, but of the hens do get a large regular ammount of the spinach, it may or may not effect the egg shells. Just something to think about.

Lol don't give me anything else to worry about lol, this will keep me awake at night lol :lol:
They don't like broccoli, they have finally eaten the Kale I hung up in the run but go mad for spinach at the moment, egg shells seem fine at the mo, but I will keep an eye on it.

I love the fact that everyone is so helpful on here x :wave:
Liseyloo

Postby tweedy » 28 Oct 2011, 19:52

Cabbage is a favourite.
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby Pegasus » 28 Oct 2011, 22:01

Yep, mine love cabbage too :)
Pegasus

Postby chuck1 » 29 Oct 2011, 02:32

Give them a while to settle down. Grass is said to have an effect on producing darker yolks and certainly some feeds have additives to make the yolks darker.
chuck1

Postby Gallina Blanca » 08 Nov 2011, 22:36

I really notice the difference in yolk colour when my hens can't free range because of the Fox. It takes about 3 days for the colour to go from bright orange to very pale yellow. They are mostly on wheat, so the colour must come from the greens which they eat, which is almost anything they can lay their beaks on. All the leaves on certain trees at jumping level have been taken. Persimmon is one of the favourites. Lime (as in linden) hasn't been touched, and the overall favourite is jujube. They do seem to know what is good for them.
Gallina Blanca
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby MrsMopp » 08 Nov 2011, 23:57

My lot normally have good yolk colour - its a combo of the food and I'm lucky enough to have a lot of good ex-pasture with very varied grasses and greens in it. But I noticed this year that the yolk colour was paler than usual; I think it was because of the dry seasons, the forage wasn't of such good quality.
MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 27 posts

Postby Lindsay » 11 Nov 2011, 22:14

MrsMopp wrote:My lot normally have good yolk colour - its a combo of the food and I'm lucky enough to have a lot of good ex-pasture with very varied grasses and greens in it. But I noticed this year that the yolk colour was paler than usual; I think it was because of the dry seasons, the forage wasn't of such good quality.

Interesting - so did I. But it only seemed to affect some of them.
Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 85 posts

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 12 Nov 2011, 09:17

I think it was because of the dry seasons

What dry season? Did I miss it? :lol: :lol:

I have a large egg flock and various breeding pens - because of where we live our grass is always very green and lush (we don't do dry seasons here in Wales :grin: ). My birds all get the same feed, treats and water and all free range yet I still get the odd pale yolked egg on a daily basis - others have deep orange yolks but most are a rich yellow.
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!
Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby chuck1 » 13 Nov 2011, 01:57

There were quite a few occasions this season when I was feeling very envious of the accounts of rain I'd seen posted as we had a very dry season in the S.E. Also some photos of green grass from other areas of the country sent me 'green' with envy.
chuck1

Postby tweedy » 13 Nov 2011, 02:27

Quite dry here too but just enough rain too keep everything rain.
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby Big D » 13 Nov 2011, 18:30

Chuck1..........please come to Cumbria and take some rain back with you. It's been 3 very wet, mouldy smelly years up here. I'm not a sun lover but even I'm sick of it.

It's like living in Mordor :(
Big D

Return to Eggs and Growers