Importing hatching eggs?

Forum specifically for discussion and information relating to avian flu and other diseases affecting all farm livestock.

Moderator: Moderators

Importing hatching eggs?

Postby NannyP » 06 Apr 2007, 14:31

As we were waiting for our ferry at Dover last week, there was a revolving sign about don'ts re Avian Flu. I am sure it said no eggs to be brought in from countries with avian flu outbreaks.
I was going to ask my visitors, whether they would take back some French Maran eggs for RobMad, but now not sure whether this will be okay?
Any ideas please.

France hasn't had AF outbreaks I'm sure.
NannyP

Liked in: 246 posts

Postby Brittany Chick » 06 Apr 2007, 14:40

I had a look at Dinard airport on Wednesday and the poster seemed to be concerned with people who work with poultry. I didn't see any mention of eggs. The ones I had posted over from ebay are all duds - probably because they would have been x-rayed - so best to make the most of your visitors coming over :D
Brittany Chick

Liked in: 1 post

Postby NannyP » 06 Apr 2007, 16:17

Okay, will ask my neighbour to atrt saving for RobMad :D
NannyP

Liked in: 246 posts

Postby chook-in-eire » 07 Apr 2007, 10:11

Brittany Chick wrote: The ones I had posted over from ebay are all duds - probably because they would have been x-rayed

I have taken eggs through airports (EU) and they were all x-rayed of course going through check-in. It does not harm them. Must have been something else - damaged due to being rattled about or dodgy seller or any other of the numerous reasons that reduce fertility or hatchability.

chook
chook-in-eire

Postby Brittany Chick » 07 Apr 2007, 19:15

Thanks for that chook.... The eggs took 6 days to reach me, during which time I have no idea how they were handled, so there are lots of things that could have affected them, but through the candling lamp they look very liquid :( . Maybe I'll try again with a different egg seller!
Brittany Chick

Postby mojo » 08 Apr 2007, 09:27

sorry to disagree with chook-in eire but my vet says xrays afect fertility........and my experiances bear this out............any vets on the forum like to comment please
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend
mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Liked in: 25 posts

Postby chook-in-eire » 08 Apr 2007, 09:45

Mojo, bear in mind that there are different types of x-rays. I have found that the machines at the airport have not affected hatchability just like they do not affect computers, disks, cameras etc. That's the ones I mean. A doctor's/vet's x-ray machine would be detrimental, I'm sure.

Happy Easter!

chook
chook-in-eire

xray

Postby mojo » 09 Apr 2007, 18:40

i did mean customs xray machine they may not afffect electronics but do affect even hand couriered eggs.........it is possible to see the differance cause naughty boy that iam i have been known to have one lot declared and the other lot not(both from same hens .....so once again any vet or animal scientist prepared to find the facts for us PLEASE
mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Postby stephen » 10 Apr 2007, 05:29

I'm starting to wonder if the Swedish Post x-ray stuff as it comes into the country; last Summer we had eggs delivered from the UK, and because of the chaos at Heathrow they came via UPS. They worked.

So far this year all our eggs have come via the postal service and we have had one egg hatch, and of the eggs currently in the 'bator not one of the duck eggs that came via the post look as if they're doing anything. So that's one out of 1 out of 20!

The goose eggs are too thick to check and they've only been in a few days.
Stephen
stephen
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 96 posts

Postby nigel » 10 Apr 2007, 06:59

do x-rays affect development?

we had 10 eggs viable at day 16 and then nine of them were DIS by day 18
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use
-Kirkegaard
nigel
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 51 posts

Postby Brittany Chick » 10 Apr 2007, 09:54

I'll be cracking open my cream legbar eggs in the next few days to have a better look - 5 of them still look very liquid and one looks like it might have started developing but only very early stages. I'm assuming they would have been x-rayed by the english or french post office, but dont know for sure.
Brittany Chick

Postby mojo » 10 Apr 2007, 17:08

the french customs xray parcels as a regular occurance that are entering from another country........they even xray internal parcels........i know ....and sometimes even apply stickers to say so ......our post office has a machine says a friendly postie...no names no packdrill........but i hoped with all our members we had someone who could get scientific evidence for us
mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Postby vanessa » 10 Jun 2007, 15:04

The official line is, no importing eggs or chickens (dead or alive) into the UK. At least, that's the way I read it at Dover port.

Of course, to import hatching eggs we should always all have a DEFRA licence ... which we all do, of course 8) ALL the time. :wink:
vanessa

Postby mojo » 10 Jun 2007, 20:57

what about bringing them OUT of the uk when i checked with defra it said up to 20 eggs for own use into any eu country
mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Postby chook-in-eire » 10 Jun 2007, 21:05

One can import or export up to 20 eggs between EU countries no problem.
See http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/int-trd ... rds/a8.htm

chook
chook-in-eire

Next

Return to Avian Flu & Farm Livestock Diseases