Mareks???

Forum specifically for discussion and information relating to avian flu and other diseases affecting all farm livestock.

Moderator: Moderators

Mareks???

Postby NewbieDuck » 10 May 2012, 21:14

I have successfully hatched a little set of Pekins and I am very attached to them all. I now have a problem. They are 5 weeks old and yesterday everything was fine and suddenly, today, one of them is unable to walk properly. One leg seems to have stopped working correctly and can only sort of push out to one side. Her aim is also shot to pieces too as she tries to eat, overshooting the feeding area and her depth perception is also out when drinking her water - not dipping deep enough to touch the water with her break. She seems almost palsied - some slight head tremors.

The only chickens I have are her 3 siblings and I have, 10 days ago, hatched a set of Splash Orpingtons. I googled her symptoms and seemed to come up with Mareks as a potential answer. I have separated her from her siblings and popped her in cat box to minimise her wobbling and falling about. I am very new to this as these are the only chickens I have ever had.

I don't understand how she could have caught it - If thats what she has, as we have no poultry around us at all and she has only been out twice in the garden for half an hour on a sunny day. None of her siblings are showing any symptoms. Is there any thing I can do to help her . .? Some sites have recommended St Johns Wort (Hypericum) and aspirins as it is a nerve inflamation and this helps reduce the inflamation. I do not want her suffering, or to prolong any agony, poor quality of life or anything of that nature . . But I am also feeling she is a valued pet and I want to help her as much as I can after all I hatched her . . . :crybaby:

Please help! . . Any solutions, other than Mareks, would be exceedingly welcome!!! If it is Mareks would a trip to the vet bring any assistance or should I just ask the vet to euthanise (I can't do it myself - I can't even kill a spider in the house!!) and hope it hasn't spread to the others. Thought the hard bit was the hatching :( and sods law she is the prettiest of the bunch with lovely markings and a beautiful personality. :crybaby:
NewbieDuck

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Mareks???

Postby tweedy » 10 May 2012, 22:26

Very unlikely to be mareks at 5 weeks old. My guess would be botulism or a vitamin defiency.
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 3 posts

Return to Avian Flu & Farm Livestock Diseases