Please Help! and have your say

Forum specifically for discussion and information relating to avian flu and other diseases affecting all farm livestock.

Moderator: Moderators

Please Help! and have your say

Postby bantamchick » 22 Jul 2010, 15:14

Hi guys,

I really need your help.
I'm currently doing a Masters at the Royal Agricultural College in Cirencester, and am in the process of doing my dissertation.
The dissertation is focusing on the risk of Bird Flu to smallholder and hobby poultry flocks, as well as the perception of small scale poultry owners in relation to DEFRA's so called "protection measures" and the risk and control of Bird Flu.

If you would like to have your say on this topic and would like to help a fellow poultry keeper finish their Masters :grin: then please follow the link below to my online questionnaire.

http://www.smart-survey.co.uk/v.asp?i=24456wtgdg

The questionnaire is completely anonymous, so feel free to voice any strong opinions you have :naughty It should only take a maximum of 5 minutes to fill out. The survey will be open for the next 10 days or so.
The data I collect is for the sole purpose of my dissertation and will not be used for any other purpose.

I would be extremely grateful if you could get as many of your poultry keeping friends as possible in the UK to fill it out, and please do cross post the link to any other poultry forums that you use.
Ideally I would like to sample at least 500 non-commercial poultry keepers from all across the UK in order to have a decent data base on which to analyze small scale poultry keepers opinions. Because our opinions matter!!

So far I only have one survey entry... my own! :wave:

Thank you to everyone who fills out the survey!

Mary xxx
Last edited by bantamchick on 22 Jul 2010, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
bantamchick

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Please Help! and have your say

Postby Greggorio » 22 Jul 2010, 15:22

bantamchick wrote:If you would like to have your say on this topic and would like to help a fellow forum member finish their Masters :grin: then please follow the link below to my online questionnaire.

I did your questionaire but almost didn't based on the assertion that you're a forum member when this was your first post.

"Hey I'm your long lost cousin though I'm not actually related to you..."

I did it, for the record, to help someone doing their masters. If you happen to continue to use the forum then great but just wanted to point that out as I found it slightly insulting
Greggorio

Postby millipup » 22 Jul 2010, 16:39

Ditto that,Greggorio !!!(and,yes,I did the survey anyway,too...........)
millipup

Postby Henwife » 22 Jul 2010, 19:04

So how many posts do you consider necessary to make somebody a Forum Member?
Yes, I've done the questionaire too.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby bantamchick » 22 Jul 2010, 19:53

Hi,

Sorry to have offended anyone, I didn't mean to.

I'm a regular member on some other poultry forums like practicalpoultry etc.., and used to be heavily involved in the pekinbantam forum before that ceased a few years ago. I'm sorry for not being an established member on this forum before asking such a big favour of all the fellow chicken keepers who are regulars on here.

Just to fill you all in here's a bit about me: I've kept and bred chickens for approximately 15 years and run chicken incubation projects on a voluntary basis with some inner London primary schools. I currently have the following breeds (all bantam) araucana, pekin, wyandotte, polish, & speckled sussex. I have a pair of working cocker spaniels who I work with on shoots during the shooting season. I'm currently based in London, but will be moving to Newbury at the end of September.

Once again, I didn't intend to offend any of the other members on this forum, and have now modified my original post to help prevent any cause for offense.

And a big thank you for all of the survey responses so far :grin:

Mary xxx
bantamchick

Postby Greggorio » 22 Jul 2010, 20:30

Henwife wrote:So how many posts do you consider necessary to make somebody a Forum Member?
Yes, I've done the questionaire too.

well 0 posts so long as you've signed up. It just got my back up as we were being asked to do someone a favour. i genuinely am not bothered about doing the survey and I'm not trying to imply you have no right to be here or something. It's like someone coming upto you and being all pally when they don't know you atall.

Anyway in hindsight I wouldn't have brought it up but hindsight unfortunately is very limited
Greggorio

Postby Greggorio » 22 Jul 2010, 20:33

haha anyway I suitably feel like a dick but I'm a very blunt person and it did annoy me so ho hum :)
Greggorio

Postby stephen » 22 Jul 2010, 21:38

Of course everyone is welcome to the forums, and we welcome everyone and hope that everyone feels able to participate in the forums. We hope that you'll keep us updated with what you find out, and that you can stick around and participate here as well.
Stephen
stephen
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 96 posts

Postby NannyP » 22 Jul 2010, 22:23

I'm in France...is it okay to complete the survey? Or is it UK only?

Welcome to the forum :grin:
NannyP

Liked in: 246 posts

Postby Greggorio » 22 Jul 2010, 22:31

I completed it based on my old address in the UK. Most of it is still answerable regardless I thought.

Lets be fair if we were in the UK we'd still take no notice of DEFRA, stupid bunch of w****rs
Greggorio

Postby bantamchick » 23 Jul 2010, 10:20

Thanks for the welcome Stephen.

NannyP wrote:I'm in France...is it okay to complete the survey? Or is it UK only?

Welcome to the forum :grin:

Hi NannyP, thank you for the welcome. I'm afraid that it is UK only because the questionnaire asks questions based on how the UK government (aka DEFRA) is trying to control the risk of avian flu.

However, if you have kept poultry in the UK in the recent past, then do feel free to fill out the survey, and just fill in the county and nearest village/town questions with where you used to be located in the UK. Hope this makes sense! :grin:

Mary xx
bantamchick

Postby lazaf » 23 Jul 2010, 10:28

Welcome to the forum Bantamchick - I've done the survey too :)
lazaf

Postby zth » 23 Jul 2010, 10:42

Yeah me too, and you didn't offend me in any way with your original post. Gregg's just being too sensitive methinks!

Good luck with the survey.
zth

Postby ilex » 23 Jul 2010, 12:31

:)
ilex

Postby lizshereen » 23 Jul 2010, 12:36

Soory Im in France but I completed the survey so just get rid of mine Ta :)
lizshereen

Next

Return to Avian Flu & Farm Livestock Diseases