Showgirls

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Showgirls

Postby jojosarah » 26 Mar 2011, 16:54

My showgirl at three weeks, i can't believe how much she looks like Millipup's third picture. :grin:
jojosarah

Liked in: 1 post

Postby millipup » 26 Mar 2011, 18:59

:grin: They could be siblings ............ :-''' :naughty Lovely pics !!! Nice to see the extra toes are all present and correct,too =D>
millipup

Postby DrRob72 » 27 Mar 2011, 23:21

Hi Fellow Showgirl Step Parent,

My Girls and boys have arrived home safely after my wonderful Sunday excursion to visit a couple of forum members.
I will post the photographs in a few days when I get some spare time from helping my partner Sarah with building the Showgirl accommodation.

Many thanks to Millipup for all her invaluable advice, she is a fountain of knowledge and anyone who has questions on the breed could not do any wrong in contacting her.

Warmest Regards
Dr Rob & Sarah.
DrRob72

Postby millipup » 28 Mar 2011, 18:29

:grin: :oops: :oops: :oops:
millipup

Postby jojosarah » 29 Mar 2011, 18:23

I've decided to call my Showgirl 'Cookie'

Any idea on the sex of my chicks?
jojosarah

Postby DrRob72 » 29 Mar 2011, 18:53

Lovely name !
It is far too early to tell with these as they like Silkies are quite difficult but I think that the 2 outer ones are boys and the middle one (Cookie) is a hen.

Any one else agree ?

Regards
Robert & Sarah.

South West Poultry.
DrRob72

Postby DrRob72 » 04 Apr 2011, 19:04

Here is a photograph of our two 7 month old showgirls having a snooze in the sunshine...

We hope you all like, I will take a few more soon.

Regards
Dr Rob & Sarah.
DrRob72

Postby Lindsay » 04 Apr 2011, 19:36

:lol: Did you preview your post before submitting?
Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 85 posts

Postby DrRob72 » 04 Apr 2011, 19:43

Yes Why ?
DrRob72

Postby Lindsay » 04 Apr 2011, 19:49

So sorry! When I looked at the picture, I thought you had posted it upside down. I have just executed a complicated manoeuvre (difficult at my age) and twisted myself to look at it the other way up. I now realise that you took the photo looking downwards. Silly of me.

Either way up, they are lovely colours.
Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 85 posts

Postby jojosarah » 04 Apr 2011, 19:51

Now moved from brooder into rabbit hutch in my spare room, they have electric hen in the sleeping compartment and i cover the front with a towel at night. I am hoping i have two girls, Cookie the showgirl and the Frizzle, but i change my mind on a daily basis. :grin:
jojosarah

Postby millipup » 04 Apr 2011, 20:38

:grin: Cookie still looks like a girl to me -she is oing to be a VERY pretty girl ,too !! =D>
millipup

Sorry -Showgirl Ebay seller rant !!!

Postby millipup » 17 Apr 2011, 14:09

Moderaters, Please feel free to move this post ,I just wasnt too sure where to put it ! I am in a really bad mood today and I need to let off steam a bit :angryfire: !! A few weeks ago,I sold some of the very first Showgirl growers that I felt were "proper " Showgirls (as some of you will know ,these have been how I have been occupying myself for the last few years,so please forgive me if I seem a bit obsessed ) I need to say I have absolutely NO problem with the forum member who bought those youngsters -its the friend that came too that I am cross with ! That person had a good look at all my birds and we talked at some lenght about the differences in each generation,progressing to the birds I have now ......I had some 2nd and 3rd generation adult hens here , two of which they bought -at a much reduced price ,I may add-and I was pleased to sell them as I believed this person to have a good grasp of the genetics involved ,I knew they had a good quality Silkie cockeral.......I was,in short ,given the impression they would be carrying on breeding towards their own Showgirls over the next few generations .and my two hens would be a good start ,as they could produce SOME nice Showgirls in the next generation -i had been getting roughly 30% Showgirls from them . SO .....today ,I was browsing through Ebay and they have listed eggs from my hens and their black Silkie cockeral as being guaranteed to produce 100% showgirls !!! :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: ( The pictures are of the two hens they bought from me plus another little white pullet -also bought from me -who is not nearly old enough to be laying !) I have sent a message to the seller and am awaiting their reply ,might have to contact Ebay with reference to thier policy on misleading listings.... the starting price for the eggs is perfectly reasonable, so I just cant see the need to hype them up to be something they are not !! Really disappointed,as I had high hopes of this person being able to add something good to Showgirl breeding !Sorry about the rant....I will shut up now !
millipup

Postby Hen-Gen » 17 Apr 2011, 18:10

Understandable that you are irritated. Though I have never had this kind of experience with chickens I did once have a similar one with canaries.
Misrepresentation is indefensible though it does have to be said that many ebayers advertise different varieties of blue chickens without pointing out that, on average, only 50% of the chicks will be blues. You have to be wary on ebay.
At the end of the day my mind goes back to a Stephen King quote, 'a man has to tend his own garden'. So long as you behave honourably then you just have to ignore those who do not.
If you have nothing
Give it away
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby millipup » 17 Apr 2011, 18:18

Thank-you for that ,Hen-gen .....I feel a bit better now because the seller has responded to my email by withdrawing the listing . \:D/ I really upset at the possibility of being associated with it somehow !!!
millipup

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds