Jersey Giants

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Jersey Giants

Postby laurasfarm » 03 Dec 2010, 22:06

Does anybody know where I can get hold of a Black Jersey cockerel in the Lancashire area?
laurasfarm

Liked in: 1 post

Postby girlracer265 » 22 Jan 2011, 22:49

Hen-Gen wrote:Eight years ago I bought a blue JG cockerel for a breeding project which is ongoing to this day. He was a very well mannered bird, both to his hens and to me. None of his hens acquired the characteristic bald patch from too much treading yet fertility was high.
Irrespective of cost though I would say that JGs are a slow maturing breed and not ideal for eating for that reason. He continued to grow well into his second year. His daughters from some Light Sussex hens made impressive layers and his sons would probably have made good eating. I still have his descendants (six generations on) from a mating to some Welsummers but these, of course, now have all the vices of this most truculent breed.

i agree they are very slow growing but once grown, pretty magnificent. :grin:
girlracer265

Postby Bristolnewbie » 10 Feb 2011, 22:10

Hi everyone, as my name suggests I am a newbie and really interested in keeping some chickens, got a run of 10m x 10m and I really like the look of the jersey giants. Can anyone give me some information please, as I am getting conflicting reports when I search the Internet,
As slow growing can someone tell me at what age can I expect to get first eggs,
Also has anyone sampled their meat? Been told it can be tough as they take so long to fatten up ands mature!
Also with a pen size of 10m x 10m what would be a fair stocking density?
Regards Bristolnewbie
Bristolnewbie

Postby petchickens » 11 Feb 2011, 16:44

Bristolnewbie wrote:Hi everyone, as my name suggests I am a newbie and really interested in keeping some chickens, got a run of 10m x 10m and I really like the look of the jersey giants. Can anyone give me some information please, as I am getting conflicting reports when I search the Internet,
Also has anyone sampled their meat? Been told it can be tough as they take so long to fatten up ands mature!
Regards Bristolnewbie

iv seen some cockerels go for like £50 ...so if you plan on eating the cockerels just remember thats roast dinner cost alot of money ...really nice birds tho if you like big breeds ever tought of the brahma
petchickens

Postby girlracer265 » 04 Mar 2011, 14:14

Bristolnewbie wrote:Hi everyone, as my name suggests I am a newbie and really interested in keeping some chickens, got a run of 10m x 10m and I really like the look of the jersey giants. Can anyone give me some information please, as I am getting conflicting reports when I search the Internet,
Regards Bristolnewbie

Hi
We keep black jersey giants
we got our first eggs at around 26 weeks, same as most pure breeds, but they do seem to continue growing for quite a while after especially the cockerels, we keep a cock and 4 hens in pens 3m x 2m in breeding season( feb - julyish usually) the rest of the time they free range over half an acre with the rest of our birds.
Ive not eaten 1 yet so can't help there, but they are a good layer of a light/mid brown egg, they are a fairly docile bird too. ours tend to go broody as the season goes on.
girlracer265

Postby bopiow » 10 Mar 2011, 18:07

hi, i have some jersey giants, but would like a few more high quality hens.
does anyone know of the best place in the uk for jersey giants. thanks
ps. not that impressed with the ebay ones.
bopiow

Postby laurasfarm » 11 Mar 2011, 16:34

bopiow wrote:hi, i have some jersey giants, but would like a few more high quality hens.
does anyone know of the best place in the uk for jersey giants. thanks
ps. not that impressed with the ebay ones.

I'm in the same boat.

I have 2 hens and a related cockerel unfortunately. They were sold as a a quad but as he matured the boy was pure evil and even injured one of my goats and bruised my kidneys. Then one of my 'girls' started to get bigger and bigger and is now a lovely BIG boy looking after my ex batties.

Would love some hatching eggs and have heard there is someone in Yorkshire who has some good stock if anyone has contact details.
laurasfarm

Postby laurasfarm » 29 Mar 2011, 18:57

Just thought I'd post some pics of my 12 month old Jersey boy.
I've never seen a pic of them with other chickens so I tried to get my ex batties in shot for a bit of scale. He does stand eye to eye with my embdens and does a really good job of keeping the peace.
I'm not interested in showing but would be quite interested in peoples opinions of size. He refuses to stand on the scales for me :(
laurasfarm

Postby MrsMopp » 30 Mar 2011, 09:07

What a fabulous photo - he looks so majestic and handsome!

I'm no expert but I have been considering keeping JGs. At the national show last year there were only 3 birds entered and the cock which won was very small (presumably young). I know big shows in particular would like to have more birds shown as they are a rare breed so if you are keen why not give it a go - you'd get valuable feedback as well from the judge. Your boy seems to have more size - how old is he? Can you find a copy of the standards and compare him? I keep orps and a green sheen is desirable on the blacks, but I don't know if this is the case with JGs? Similarly a purple sheen is a fault. I presume he has correctly coloured legs and soles on his feet. My eye isn't 'in' enough on the body shape or tail to comment I'm afraid. He looks to have a nice alert head and eye. Comb is evenly serrated.

As an aside somebody is selling a quintet on Bid4Poultry at the mo - £160.
MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 33 posts

Postby peggyegg » 04 Apr 2011, 22:16

Jessie, our gentle free ranging Blue Jersey Giant is for sale. He was hatched and raised by us from a chick.and adores his hens. He is 22 weeks old. Jessie is hand tame, not aggressive and joins in clucking and crowing when the hens lay an egg. As we live in a residential area we are only keeping hens and want to ensure he is going to a home where he will be cherished & well cared for. You are welcome to see him and I am happy to e-mail some photos of him from birth to date
peggyegg

Postby Lindsay » 05 Apr 2011, 08:08

laurasfarm wrote:Just thought I'd post some pics of my 12 month old Jersey boy.

I've never seen a pic of them with other chickens so I tried to get my ex batties in shot for a bit of scale. He does stand eye to eye with my embdens and does a really good job of keeping the peace.
I'm not interested in showing but would be quite interested in peoples opinions of size. He refuses to stand on the scales for me :(

Lovely photo, and so nice to see ex-batts enjoying themselves :)
Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 85 posts

Postby Hen-Gen » 06 Apr 2011, 07:56

Very impressive. They are an eye catching breed. Eat a lot though! :)
PS
If you weigh yourself and then weigh yourself holding the chicken then the difference is the weight of the chicken.
If you have nothing
Give it away
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby peggyegg » 06 Apr 2011, 08:09

Hi

I have two Black JG Hens and 1 Cokerel all unrelated, I will post some photos on the weekend as I am selling Jessie, my boy. The girls started to lay in Ocotber when they were about 6 months old and laid up until Christmas, then started to lay again at the end of January, they lay lovely eggs. My JG are hand tame and free range with my x batts, Sultan, Orpington and bantam silkies. Jessie who is now 23 weks old is regualry treading them and is quite gentle. If anyone is after a JG Cockerill I am selling my boy and live in Milton Keynes.

I love my chickens
peggyegg

Postby frank the troll » 29 Jun 2011, 12:54

Swap Wanted: I have a young black cockerel, hatched at easter, want to swap for a young black or blue, (new blood)
Am near Somerton in Somerset

currently have 2 black and 3 blue hens

easter hatch have 1 black, 1 blue, 2 splash, and 1 JG cross rode island that has come out spotted, looking like a songthrush, all used to being handled

HOMED
ok the boy has been homed, but still need a replacment !
frank the troll

Postby Chooks88 » 12 Jun 2012, 14:20

Anyone know of Jersey Giant breeders in Scotland?

I would love to get one or two of this lovely breed and can't seem to find anyone who rear/breed or sell this breed in Scotland.

Also I have had conflicting information from a ex-Jersey giant owner in Scotland who had Jersey giants. I was told they don't cope with cold weather. :shock: I don't believe central scotland is that cold even in winter. :lol:

Any help/information will be most appreciated.
Chooks88

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds