Jersey Giants

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby cadwganchicks » 02 Nov 2008, 16:47

I am looking for some blue and white JG's, hens and a cockral. if anyone has any live birds or hatch eggs can you please let me know or make a note to contact me when you get some?
cadwganchicks

Liked in: 1 post

Postby joowlie » 11 Nov 2008, 12:47

:o
Hi
can anyone in France or England supply me with Jersey Giant hatching eggs,
would e grateful for any colour,
would buy hens or chicks, but do live in France and can travel in France,ut its a big:::::::::: place

J
joowlie

Re: Jersey Giants

Postby Hilarysmum » 04 Jan 2009, 10:24

I would love some fertile J.G. eggs any colours. I live in Brittany. Can travel around Brittany OH not keen on driving any further. Or could have them posted to my son in Poole and have them bought across at Easter. If anyone can help.
Hilarysmum

Postby newby » 04 Jan 2009, 10:47

Try Ken Blow in Worksop UK. I know he'll post eggs, but the french post does tend to damage them His number is 0044 1909 475333. He has all the colours.
newby

Postby Sylvia » 04 Jan 2009, 11:33

On the Franglais topic, Ian has offered to bring over any hatching eggs we require, not sure if any of you are on his route but it might be worth asking and better than risking the post.
Sylvia

Postby Hilarysmum » 04 Jan 2009, 12:45

Many thanks will do. Might be better to ask him to post to Poole and have them bought across that way????
Hilarysmum

Postby Tia Maria » 19 Jan 2009, 14:09

Well Gordon - who might have been a hen - is crowing (and everything) so he sure is a cockerel - I blame my son for calling him Gordon

He's lovely - and the only chicken my OH says we'll never eat (thank goodness)

So at some point I'd like him to have some lady company of his own kind

At this rate I'm gonna have loads of hens because I don't like any of them being 'one of a kind' and at the moment they all are!!

If I sucessfully get more GJ, some Maran hens and some Andalucians then I'd probably rehome the rest - we'll see - or I could steal next doors garden and make it into a chicken run? - they might no notice???????
Tia Maria
Pullet
Pullet

Postby Tia Maria » 06 Mar 2009, 13:16

Well - after fighting and loosing with our Maran cockerel, and after a lot of soul searching, we have decided Gordon (JG cockerel) has to go, so no Jersey Giants for me (I am gutted)

It is the right decision as I have now got 2 maran POL to go with our Maran cockerel

If any of you want a lovely white Jersey Giant - Gordon is gorgeous
A mixed LF flock of 2 Lavender Araucanas, 3 Barnevelders (1 double laced and 2 blue), 1 Blackrock, 3 Cuckoo Marans, 1, 1 White Star, 2 Silver Campine, 1 Blue Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans & 1 Marans x Araucana (lays green eggs).

And 4 dogs, 4 ferrets and 1 Harris Hawk
Tia Maria
Pullet
Pullet

Postby cadwganchicks » 06 Mar 2009, 15:34

yes please! Bagsy Gordon!
cadwganchicks

Postby Tia Maria » 06 Mar 2009, 16:40

Where are you? Pm me with/for details :grin:
A mixed LF flock of 2 Lavender Araucanas, 3 Barnevelders (1 double laced and 2 blue), 1 Blackrock, 3 Cuckoo Marans, 1, 1 White Star, 2 Silver Campine, 1 Blue Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans & 1 Marans x Araucana (lays green eggs).

And 4 dogs, 4 ferrets and 1 Harris Hawk
Tia Maria
Pullet
Pullet

Postby le gallois » 03 Apr 2009, 16:18

18 eggs went into incubator the 31 march,hoping that it will be a good hatch % [-o< [-o<
le gallois

Postby Hilarysmum » 24 May 2009, 11:06

Do surplus JG cockerels make good eating? What sort of age? Is it ok to eat them?
Hilarysmum

Postby james419 » 25 May 2009, 07:39

Le gallois, what was your success rate with your JG's
james419

Postby le gallois » 25 May 2009, 11:52

Hi james419.
the hatch rate was very low,out of 18 eggs if i remember 6or7 were clear,5 hatched and the rest were dead in shell.of the 5 that hatched i think i have m/f black j/g and 3 female (not to sure at the moment) white j/g. I am not really happy now with posted eggs as the last 2 hatch % of my own eggs has been very good. I have 50 eggs in incubator which started to hatch on day 20.Today is day 21 and 60% have hatched.
le gallois

Postby Hilarysmum » 27 May 2009, 09:17

Hilarysmum wrote:Do surplus JG cockerels make good eating? What sort of age? Is it ok to eat them?

... guess thats a NO then!!!
Hilarysmum

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds