Thuringians

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Thuringians

Postby nigel » 12 Aug 2009, 15:12

This thread is for Thuringians.
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use
-Kirkegaard
nigel
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 51 posts

Re: Thuringians

Postby siouxsie » 12 Aug 2009, 19:03

A rare breed from Germany, also known as Thuringer Barthuehner. They come in both bantam and LF, although I understand that LF are few and far between in the UK. Colourwise mine are silver spangled - gold spangled and chamois are also available. Great little birds, good layers, hardy and good free rangers. Love them :grin:

siouxsie

Liked in: 1 post

Postby tweedy » 12 Aug 2009, 19:07

Nice looking birds :thumbright:
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby ilex » 12 Aug 2009, 20:46

Very smart/tidy bird`s . Have you any more in depth information about the breed. Please. :-)
ilex

Postby debcat » 12 Aug 2009, 21:03

gorgeous looking birds :grin:
love the pekin as well
we're all sane it's the rest of the world thats mad!
debcat

Liked in: 7 posts

Postby MrsMopp » 16 Aug 2009, 10:54

I think they're gorgeous - are they flighty? whats the egg laying like?
MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 33 posts

Postby CP » 16 Aug 2009, 10:56

Lovely birds. :grin: The hen looks like a dalmatian! :lol:
I've not heard of the breed before.
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 171 posts

Postby siouxsie » 16 Aug 2009, 19:22

This is a lovely photo of a thuringian cockerel - not mine, I might add! It comes from cottage poultry. But it does show the wonderful beard and muff that these birds have.

I have a pair of thuringians that live in a wendy house in my garden. They are not particularly flighty - not on a par with leghorns, for example - but I don't handle them - they just free range about my garden. This year the hen has not laid well - I've been very disappointed - she laid soft shelled eggs for ages and then pretty much went off lay. She has just started again now, but the chances of them being fertile now are slim, I reckon, as the cockerel has lost his tail feathers and is thus starting to moult. I have managed to hatch only the one chick ... But, there's always next year.

siouxsie

Postby Willow09 » 10 Sep 2009, 21:35

Hello all, I've just joined...glad that there is a Thuringian thread! I love them and would definitely recommend this breed to anyone-I've silver spangled too (three cockerels and four hens) they're friendly, trill lots, yes they can fly but, are worth having around. I'll have to post some pics of them soon.
Willow09

Postby Twigs » 13 Sep 2009, 16:58

I too keep thuringians, I had only the second chamois spangled pair to be released in this country, unfortunately the cock bird was very loud and I sold them on, I do have a lone hen....lovely quiet bird, beautiful to look at and a great layer....highly recommended.......(I sold my pair to Cottage Poultry)
Twigs

Postby siouxsie » 08 Feb 2010, 23:34

I have a new trio of these gorgeous birds now - gold spangled this time. I am hoping to breed some chamois from these too ......

siouxsie

Postby Greggorio » 08 Feb 2010, 23:57

haha theyre great looking birds. You got a photo of one of the hens?
Greggorio

Postby millie75 » 28 Aug 2010, 14:47

siouxsie, Hi I am looking for a trio of Gold Thuringians can you help??
millie75

Postby CentreStage » 01 Dec 2012, 20:14

I would really like one of these - does anyone breed them in the South of England?
CentreStage

Postby cricko2760 » 17 May 2016, 13:26

Hi
Not sure if anyone still reads this forum, but I have 2 Thuringian cockerels surplus to requirements. They are currently 9 weeks old and feathering up nicely. No mites etc. and have been reared on Garvo foods. Contact me if interested.
Chris

MamaOwl likes this post.
cricko2760

Next

Return to Breeds