Cream Legbars

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Cream Legbars

Postby soufle » 22 Apr 2014, 19:48

Hi Organic chick, yes, they will get bigger .I find mine are in the 60- 68 gms range but have had some bigger.Hopefully I have attached a picture of some, they are blue under normal light. Pullet egg left , normal in the middle and eye watering egg on right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
soufle
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 70 posts

Postby soufle » 22 Apr 2014, 20:03

this year's hatch ,the dog is fascinated by them. Such tasty morsels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CP likes this post.
soufle
Chick
Chick

Postby soufle » 22 Apr 2014, 20:18

Wilt wrote:I think the cock is a good coloured cock, perhaps more chestnut on the wing coverts. The closest chick looks every part a pullet except for the light colour in the wing ends, very strange. Dark brown chipmunk eye liner, I'm right flumuxed. :thumbright:

I'd forgotten this post about 'the big chick' this is a pic of her now.
soufle
Chick
Chick

Postby soufle » 13 Aug 2014, 21:29

Its been a bit quiet on the Cream Legbar page so here's some pics.These are the same ones shown earlier on here as chicks.I only hatched two lots this year.One lot for a friend.
soufle
Chick
Chick

Postby darkbrowneggs » 13 Aug 2014, 21:46

Very nice looking pullets, Good straight combs, not overdone on the crests, which I think is better, white earlobes?, nicely coloured breasts, and smart alert look to show they should be good layers. Well done.

Cant see the cockerel, but he has good yellow legs and looks to be well coloured apart from a bit too much white in the wing feathers, If the girls lay good blue eggs for you then full marks all round I think.
To follow my travel journal see www.thebusphoebeandme.us For lots of info on keeping and breeding Marans see www.darkbrowneggs.info
darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 32 posts

Postby Henwife » 14 Aug 2014, 06:56

I would have been delighted to have a so good a group as I know how difficult they are to get right.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby soufle » 14 Aug 2014, 07:54

Thank you DBE and Henwife for your kind comments .I wish I could take credit but these were from eggs I purchased from Jill Rees ,out of 18 eggs I had 12 pullets and was more than pleased. . I could see faults with my original birds and decided to get some from a better strain . The cockerel was culled as he had an awful comb despite looking promising earlier on .
I am now looking for a nice cockerel for next year.No easy task. :)
soufle
Chick
Chick

Postby Paul_V » 30 May 2015, 16:22

I'm new to this site but would appreciate any opinions on some newly hatched chicks.

I have a mixed batch of 4 CCL and 5 CCL x Golden Brahma crosses, the problem is that I'm just a bit unsure about one of the CCL chicks - I think it may be little roo but would welcome any comments!!!

Pics are at 4 days old...
Paul_V

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby subruss » 01 Jun 2015, 09:03

Well that is a difficult one, with my luck I would go with you on cockerel, its just a wait and see situation and there always seems to be a couple like this in each hatch :( . Be positive its a hen :thumbright: .
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Postby Paul_V » 01 Jun 2015, 15:09

Thanks for the quick response subruss! :grin:

I have no option but to wait and see, although if it turns out to be a hen I won't be using her to breed from... :?
Paul_V

Postby Fast Farmer » 03 Jun 2015, 00:46

Difficult to call. Despite the clear darker bar down its back the additional thinner lower bars are mainly absent/faint, Ive had a similar Bielefelder chick much the same......which included the darker head markings.........it turned out a "he"......time will tell.
Fast Farmer
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Henwife » 03 Jun 2015, 06:49

If you haven't got small leg rings to identify it at this stage, use a small coloured cable tie (clip off the end when it's on) and replace it regularly. It's very easy to lose track of one you don't intend to breed from, should it turn out to be a hen. Been there, done that.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

CP likes this post.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby Paul_V » 05 Jun 2015, 18:30

Never thought of using cable ties Henwife, thanks for that tip!!! :)

This is my first "true" homegrown hatch as my only other came from purchased fertile eggs. So fingers crossed that they all make it, although they seem to be doing fine so far.

I must admit that I was surprised to see the that the legbar x brahma chicks had the exact same chipmunk style markings as the pure legbars albeit golden brown rather than black, but then again I'm quite new to this so perhaps need to read up on the genetics of crossing before next spring!

20150604_183719.jpg

2 people like this post.
Paul_V

Postby CP » 05 Jun 2015, 19:37

Aww, great picture! :grin:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 167 posts

Previous

Return to Breeds