New Hampshire Reds

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

New Hampshire Reds

Postby Ex Moderator » 29 Sep 2005, 08:41

This thread is for New Hampshire Reds.
Ex Moderator

Liked in: 1 post

Postby David T » 10 Oct 2005, 10:36

I have eight 4 week old chicks of the bantam type of this breed.

They are lively little souls and wanted to be outside almost two days after hatching (with mum of course!)

They are now well feathered up and developing a super colour.

David
David T

i have one little lady

Postby spidey » 01 Nov 2005, 13:10

my New Hampshire is only around 20 weeks old at the moment i got her from The Gobbett Rare Breeds Farm, Shropshire way....she is small but lovely :D . not so tame as some of my other ladies, yet.

she sets off on her own quite a lot.

I've named her Hammy, not very original but it helps me remember what breed she is!
spidey

Postby Bendix01 » 02 Nov 2005, 16:14

I have 3 Banties (from George), not the most friendly but can be bribed quite readily. They are getting more friendly though as they get nearer to laying. Very shiny feathers and a great ginger colour. Nice and small too so can free range in our little garden.

Not the easiest to catch at first as they Hop and run like they are on hot coals.

We like 'em! :D
Bendix01

Postby Mr Cholmondley-Warner » 17 Nov 2005, 03:05

We got 8 hens and 2 super cockerels,was a bit dubious about buying these before but glad I did they are a very under rated chicken very friendly and gregarious and self imposed police force in our flock they step in to sort out any arguements- usually started by the Rhodeys-definately have more next year.
rich
"May I become at all times, both now and forever
A protector for those without protection
A guide for those who have lost their way
A ship for those with oceans to cross
A bridge for those with rivers to cross
A sanctuary for those in danger
A lamp for those without light
A place of refuge for those who lack shelter
And a servant to all in need." - Bodhisattva heart of compassion.
http://www.buddhanet.net/
Mr Cholmondley-Warner
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 0 post

Searching for New Hampshire Reds

Postby Caroline1 » 17 Apr 2006, 08:40

Hi

I've just returned from holiday to find that my hens have been had by the fox - much to the distress of the person who was looking after them. Does anyone know the name of the Sussex-based breeder who has New Hampshire Reds as the birds I had from him have been great and will be much missed by my children, and I like to replace them if poss

Thanks

PS I think he has australorps as well
Caroline1

Postby mojo » 17 Apr 2006, 10:27

check PP breeders lists..back of mag..for helpor put want advert in our mart.good luck
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend
mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Liked in: 25 posts

Postby rossignol » 11 Aug 2008, 16:36

Hi
Does anyone know of a breeder of Hamps in North Wales or West Cheshire area. They are one of the breeds I am considering getting in the near future.
Cheers
rossignol

Postby Bradders » 14 Aug 2008, 14:54

Do they go broody a lot. :?
But i suppose they do because their a pure breed :x :evil:
Bradders

Postby BLUELACED » 03 Nov 2008, 22:03

No Piccies? :(
BLUELACED

Postby Pekinout » 03 Nov 2008, 23:17

They look almost identical to Rhode Island Reds.
Pekinout

Postby BLUELACED » 04 Nov 2008, 15:49

I have some myself but they are only young. I just enjoy looking at pictures of other peoples birds :D
BLUELACED

Re: New Hampshire Reds

Postby laura771 » 25 Mar 2009, 12:02

We started off with 2 pullets (LF) and we liked them so much that when Bandit went broody (a New Hampshire Red)last year, we decided to put some eggs under her. Out of 8 eggs we got 6 pullets and 2 cockerals so we were chuffed with that!
They do make good mothers, but Bandit has yet to go broody this year.
They are very friendly and certainly don't like to be ignored! health wise we haven't had any problems touch wood and they seem to be a very sturdy and robust breed.
Here are some piccies
Smokey and Bandit

Bandit broody last year- the one on the left! (other is Hilda)

Basil (one of the cockerals that hatched)

Two of the pullets that hatched (didn't name them as we sold them)

You are never alone with these guys! the minute the door is opened you are surrounded lol, they are very inquisitive and are usually the first on the scene (Bandit always gets into trouble) hope you enjoy the pics! i've got loads more!
laura771

Postby moors » 25 Mar 2009, 12:53

I have just adopted a cockerell and would like to get him some female company - we live in Kent does any one know of a breeder in the south of England - prepared to travel upto the midlands if needed

kind regards
moors

Postby M00R3Y » 19 Jul 2009, 22:02

I aquired two NHR bantams about a year ago, a dodgy deal over some bark chips, i now know i definitely got the better end of the deal!

What cheeky, inquisitive lil birds they are, always chattering to eachother, and both emerge mid morning from their nest with a chorus of clucking to announce they've laid us an egg!

Not the tamest of birds we own, but they both come scuttling across the orchard when its time for corn in the afternoon, and virtually flap up to your arms to get into the corn bowl!

Definitely not a bird to be dismissed, they lay a huge amount of large white bantam eggs, laying right into the coldest weather, and have a real farmyard chicken look about them.

Wouldnt be without my two girls!
M00R3Y

Next

Return to Breeds