Silkies

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Silkies

Postby Alchemist » 06 Jun 2012, 23:13

Perfect poultry have loads of different breads but not sure if they are near you. How about mini meadows farm?
Alchemist

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Silkies

Postby airyfairy » 07 Jun 2012, 10:07

Thanks heaps, I didn't know about Mini Meadows Farm. Going to take a look on Sat. Many thanks again. :grin:
Sauce (Rhode Island Red) - Pickle (Golden Silkie) - Basil (cockerel), Snowdrop and Daisy (White Silkies), plus Lucy Locket (JR Terrier), Louis Feruke (cat), Melody (American Quarter Horse) and Pye (Gypsy Cob pony)
airyfairy
Chick
Chick

Postby Taboo71 » 17 Jun 2012, 14:17

Can anyone tell me what colour our silkies are please? We bought them as gold but I don't know if they've actually changed colour or faded in the sun. Their chicks have been a mixture of gold and this light colour also.

Taboo71

Postby Taboo71 » 18 Jun 2012, 14:51

Anybody??
Taboo71

Postby Ilex Kent » 18 Jun 2012, 16:38

They look like sun faded Gold Silkies to me .
When they moult ,their glorious gold will come back . :)
Ilex Kent

Postby NI-Silkies2012 » 26 Jun 2012, 22:21

Few pictures of my wee Silkies.... :grin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NI-Silkies2012

Postby airyfairy » 02 Jul 2012, 18:15

Very cute :grin:
Sauce (Rhode Island Red) - Pickle (Golden Silkie) - Basil (cockerel), Snowdrop and Daisy (White Silkies), plus Lucy Locket (JR Terrier), Louis Feruke (cat), Melody (American Quarter Horse) and Pye (Gypsy Cob pony)
airyfairy
Chick
Chick

Postby Ilex Kent » 03 Jul 2012, 08:57

:love7:
Ilex Kent

Postby airyfairy » 31 Jul 2012, 19:06

Hi there, we have a white cockerel and 2 white hens and a gold hen. We now have 5 lively little chicks. 1 black, 1 grey and 3 yellow. any ideas how this came about and what colour they might be? Thanks
airyfairy
Chick
Chick

Postby Taboo71 » 01 Aug 2012, 19:16

The yellow will be white, the other 2 could possibly be partridge colour as that's what our black/grey chicks turned out to be from mixed colours :-)
Taboo71

Postby airyfairy » 06 Aug 2012, 07:07

Thank you, I'll wait and see.
airyfairy
Chick
Chick

Postby airyfairy » 16 Aug 2012, 14:03

Hi all, what age can I take mum away from chicks and they won't get cold at night. They still sleep under her and they are 3 weeks old this weekend. Thanks
airyfairy
Chick
Chick

Postby CP » 17 Aug 2012, 03:12

3 weeks is too young & personally I wouldn't take them away until she starts showing signs of not wanting them any more.
On average mum will get fed up with them around 8 weeks. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby airyfairy » 17 Aug 2012, 13:29

Ok thank you. I thought as much and she is such a good mum. I'll get my husband to make a bigger run with a top on it so the buzzards and crows don't get them as the broody coop is too small for all of them. Thanks again.
airyfairy
Chick
Chick

Sex that Silkie?!

Postby lindzlbunzl » 18 Feb 2013, 10:24

IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_0101.JPG
IMG_0101.JPG

I'm thinking boy? Though I'm really no expert - it isn't laying or crowing and spends most of its time hiding under the feed container!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lindzlbunzl

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds