Brahmas

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby NannyP » 27 Nov 2007, 15:59

This is Trousers (the lovely hen :roll: that Mojo gave us :wink: )

He too runs like Dale Winton...he's very inquisitive, and loves to come and be with us in the garden. However, he moves away very quickly if we reach out to him.

We love him, such a wonderful gift. Hoping to look for a missus for him in the new year.
:D
NannyP

Liked in: 246 posts

Postby Barny_Velder » 30 Dec 2007, 12:07

Meet George, he lives with ChuckChuck's Brahma girl (chuckchuck being my better half) He's quite nosey and partial to wandering into the house after a treat. Doesn't take well to being picked up but is happy to come over and sit by you for a fuss.

Barny_Velder

Liked in: 1 post

Postby NannyP » 30 Dec 2007, 15:18

He's gorgeous...is he a Buff?

I'd better add Mrs Trousers here....she's very happy with her mate Trousers, I have no idea how she decides he is the same breed?

NannyP

Postby Barny_Velder » 31 Dec 2007, 18:13

He's a Buff Columbian, he's a right pudding, even the warren girls bully him out of the way for grapes :)
Had to lol at the Dale Winton run, mines camper than a row of pink tents.
Barny_Velder

Postby NannyP » 31 Dec 2007, 19:20

Isn't it odd, such big birds and so soft.
I sat watching him the other day, laying in the sun with his mate, Billy no mates, and he was grooming him :D
Then, when we took him to the vets the other day, he just lay there, being held by Mark and seemed to enjoy me stroking his head and his neck, closing eyes in a relaxed fashion.

What a gorgeous bird he is :D
NannyP

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 19 Jan 2008, 16:52

Haven't got any photos yet (computer illiterate anyway :lol: ) but I have just become the proud owner of four 12 - 16 week old bantam Buff Columbian Brahmas - including a cockerel who crowed for the first time this morning - ooh rusty hinge!!!! I have put them in their own ark and run in a drier part of the garden and they seem to have settled in nicely, how long before I can let them out to free range the garden? I have been told that they will go broody all the time - is this true? I am not too bothered as I want to hatch out some Welsummer eggs under them as well as their own. I will try and get some photos when (IF) it stops raining.

Chris
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!
Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby Henwife » 19 Jan 2008, 19:36

I too have brahma bantams - six blue lights. I really didn't mean to keep them, but they were all pullets and very beautiful.......and now laying.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby Pip » 21 Jan 2008, 14:23

I would like to add a photo of my Brahma cockerel but i don't know how to do it. Can anyone help please!
Pip

Postby Barny_Velder » 22 Jan 2008, 15:41

http://forums.thepoultrykeeper.co.uk/vi ... php?t=1870

Couple of guides there for you Pip, added a pictorial guide to using tinypic.com as well. Should be easy enough to follow, if not PM me and add me to MSN and i'll talk you through it.
Barny_Velder

Postby naturesparadise » 03 Feb 2008, 00:34

what are they like for egg laying as im getting mixed info

some say they lay 140 eggs a year others say they are only show birds

i was thinking of getting some but need some advice on this thanks
naturesparadise

Postby Barny_Velder » 05 Feb 2008, 23:06

Millie laid 6 a week up until Last week in Oct/first week in Nov. She's back laying now one a day so far for the last week.
Barny_Velder

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 10 Feb 2008, 10:09

My young Buff Columbian Brahma bantams. Buffy the cockerel is in the middle.

Chris
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

egg size.

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 18 Feb 2008, 09:54

Since Buffy went to his new home last Thurs the girls have laid a few eggs. Being Brahma bantams the eggs seem quite small compared to the others - how big and what weight should they be. As Buffy was "doing the business" with the girls before he went I was thinking of putting some in the incubator but won't if they are too small.

Chris
Chris

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby Barny_Velder » 18 Feb 2008, 14:40

Full size Brahma's don't lay overly huge eggs usually around 65g mark, I don't keep bantam Brahma so not entirely sure, Cleulow in Chesire are the people to talk to about brahma bants. May be worth firing them an email they are friendly helpful people.
Barny_Velder

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 18 Feb 2008, 18:10

Thanks for that - will get more info from them.

Chris
Chris

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds