Brahmas

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Brahmas

Postby petchickens » 17 Nov 2010, 12:24

are the gold laced brahmas rare because iv never seen them till i went on that link you sent ? or is it a cross brahma x wyandotte ? still new to all this and learning by the day :thumbright:
petchickens

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Wilt » 17 Nov 2010, 12:49

It's a cross Cochin Wyandotte that some in history say was the origin of the Brahma. With the Rose comb being dominant to the single comb, but some sports/mutations can look or turn into Pea/triple combs. The only gold and silver laced Brahma types are the ones we are working on as far as I am aware. Dick dastardly lives in Mansfield which is up your way, so it might be worth seeing if he wants a hand with them?

These are the parents of the SLB above, and they are straight from SL wyandotte X Cochin. So to my mind the people who believe this cross made the Brahma have got my vote.

Chickens, are also food for the soul!

http://www.coachhousecochins.com
Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 16 posts

Postby petchickens » 17 Nov 2010, 13:48

Wilt wrote:It's a cross Cochin Wyandotte that some in history say was the origin of the Brahma. With the Rose comb being dominant to the single comb, but some sports/mutations can look or turn into Pea/triple combs. The only gold and silver laced Brahma types are the ones we are working on as far as I am aware. Dick dastardly lives in Mansfield which is up your way,with the so it might be worth seeing if he wants a hand m?

These are the parents of the SLB above, and they are straight from SL wyandotte X Cochin. So to my mind the people who believe this cross made the Brahma have got my vote.

id care for some of his birds if thats what you mean i think they look AMAZINGLY beautiful
petchickens

Postby Wilt » 17 Nov 2010, 14:13

Well it's helpfull if people are able to keep cock birds and breed from them, to have more than one line being kept by different people until they become more correct to breed standard and more popular, just incase something unfortunate befalls one lot of the breeding groups.

What pullets are you going to be getting?

Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Postby petchickens » 17 Nov 2010, 14:58

i am getting two 10 week old blue partridge problem ill have is i am getting a blue partridge cockerel aswell but if he wants me to buy a pair off him and look after them i will but ill have to keep them in a pen insted of mixing them to the rest of my chickens

im abit confused now :-k :scratch:
petchickens

Postby Wilt » 17 Nov 2010, 15:02

Yes he will want you to keep them separate to ensure the chicks are pure breed that normal, As you get more experienced you can either get more groups of birds in separate pens. It's better to start with just the one breeding group then see how you go along. You can allways get in touch when you are ready to expand and we can see where we stand! :thumbright:

Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Postby petchickens » 17 Nov 2010, 15:09

:thumbright:
petchickens

Postby son of eddy » 10 Dec 2010, 11:24

For serious Brahma addicts like me, here's a great site I came across recently. Whenever I need a Brahma fix this is where I go [when its too cold to visit my own :lol: ] Lots of links to other good Brahma sites too. :thumbright:
http://users.telenet.be/brahma/
son of eddy
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 90 posts

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 10 Dec 2010, 11:28

Hello SOE - long time no hear, nice to know you are OK :grin: . Love my Brahmas, both LF and bantam - off to look at the site now, thanks.
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!
Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby son of eddy » 12 Dec 2010, 21:20

Couple of interesting colours from a Dark x Blue Silver Brahma {maybe I've made Chocolate Brahma!! :lol: }

Thats mum at the back of the young Brown [chocolate] pullet. It makes me wonder what went into the making of Blue Silver as it obviously doesn't breed true.
son of eddy
Pullet
Pullet

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 13 Dec 2010, 05:33

Very nice :grin: - I have just got 4 chocolate Wyandotte bantams, very dark and evenly coloured - I love the colour :grin:
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!
Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby son of eddy » 13 Dec 2010, 09:08

These two are the sweetest ever Brahma's. To say they were raised by a broody, barely handled, they utterly adore being handled. The other day I was in the house filling feeders. The young cock, decided the only place for him to be was sat n my back!! :lol:

Sad thing for me though is I'm not keeping them, they are going to be rehomed in the new year. I shall miss them.
son of eddy
Pullet
Pullet

Postby petchickens » 13 Dec 2010, 09:12

son of eddy wrote:These two are the sweetest ever Brahma's. To say they were raised by a broody, barely handled, they utterly adore being handled. The other day I was in the house filling feeders. The young cock, decided the only place for him to be was sat n my back!! :lol:

Sad thing for me though is I'm not keeping them, they are going to be rehomed in the new year. I shall miss them.

cant you keep them ann .i love brahmas and would have a couple in a heartbeat .your dark brahma at the back looks amazing
petchickens

Postby son of eddy » 13 Dec 2010, 18:12

petchickens wrote:
cant you keep them ann .i love brahmas and would have a couple in a heartbeat .your dark brahma at the back looks amazing

The reason I can't allow my heart to rule my head is that they are just not a colour I intend to continue breeding. For one thing the B/S just doesn't breed true, as can be seen by the result of these two. They would then take up pen & hut space that I could use for my others that I do breed. If you're interested, I have two dark hens for sale. They are mum & her sister, who before broodiness and chicks took over were inseparable. Pm me if you're interested, mum is as gentle and affectionate as the chicks.

This is one of the colours I intend breeding this year which I love.
son of eddy
Pullet
Pullet

Postby petchickens » 13 Dec 2010, 18:16

=P~ :P
petchickens

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds