Bluebelle Hybrid

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Bluebelle Hybrid

Postby nenee » 23 Jan 2009, 15:39

Im going to look at some bluebell chickens tom, after seeing all of your pictures Im sooooo hooked they are gorgeous! What stunning chickens, I have 4 warrens and 2 polish which arent laying yet and wanted to get a contrast in colour but also get some chickens that are actually laying at the moment.

Is it best to buy 2 of them to introduct to my other chickens as iv heard that introducing 1 is not a good idea, also would the blue bell mix well with my small polish as i dont want an aggressive breed due to this plus i have children so need a very friendly breed, iv read the sussex breed is a good one to but i so like the look of the bluebell so pretty.

nenee
nenee

Liked in: 1 post

Postby { Emma { » 21 Mar 2009, 22:41

Does anyone know where I can get some bluebelles in the north east of Scotland?
{ Emma {

Postby laura771 » 22 Mar 2009, 14:16

We've got 3 Blues, which we bought in jan this year and we're very pleased with them! very friendly and lovely-looking. I think we'll probably get some more! mine lay a nice blue egg.
laura771

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 23 Mar 2009, 10:12

mine lay a nice blue egg.

?????????????????? Are you sure you have Bluebelles? They don't they a blue egg their eggs are brown with a "plum blush".
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!
Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby Blackrock » 23 Mar 2009, 11:00

Chris Kurzfeld wrote:
mine lay a nice blue egg.

?????????????????? Are you sure you have Bluebelles? They don't they a blue egg their eggs are brown with a "plum blush".

Mine do not lay blue eggs either, like you say brown with plum blush :grin:
Blackrock

Postby peanuts » 26 Mar 2009, 18:27

I have 3 pet Hybrid Bluebelle Hens they are approx 12wks or so old. How can I raise some chicks for me to keep as I have read that there is no Bluebelle Cockeral ! I know the eggs will not be fertile unless the hen has a mate so which Cockeral do you choose in order to hatch little Blubelle chicks. Also will I need an incubator or will the hens sit on there eggs and hatch them herself. Would it be a better/easier if I bought some day old chicks if so how/where I live Nr Wigan also how would I sex them. I am a novice :roll: and a new member :grin: here so any help advice would be greatly appreciated. [-o<
peanuts

Postby Blackrock » 26 Mar 2009, 18:54

I have no idea. It might be worth asking that question in another section of the forum =D>
Blackrock

Postby Charlemagne » 16 Apr 2009, 16:33

I have a pair of what I believe to be Bluebelle's for sale (they were sold to me as Marans but I think i've been had! #-o They are laying already but have only recently started to lay.

I'm going to advertise in the for sale section also, but just in case anyone is interested on here, I'm in Cheshire/North Wales.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlemagne

Postby sandersb » 16 Apr 2009, 17:22

Aww all the pics are lovely. I was meant to be getting a blue bell last saturday when I collected my other birds but she had sold out of them!!! She said she should have some more in, in a couple of weeks!!!

I can not wait!!

Becky :grin:
sandersb

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 17 Apr 2009, 10:12

What colour eggs do they lay charlemagne? There is a copper blue maran that sometimes don't have the copper neck feathers and look remarkably like bluebelles.
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!
Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby Charlemagne » 17 Apr 2009, 10:38

Hi Chris,

They are laying a very pale egg which is not what they were sold to me as, the guy said they were Marans and dark egg layers. I will never go back to where I bought them from, as I got some Barnevelders at the same time, and when I got one home it was very poorly and costed me a fortune in vet treatment, she now lives a happy free range life at my parents as I would never breed from her as never grew properly.

A year ago I was alot more naive than I am now as I was relatively new to poulltry keeping, unfortunately there are unsrupulous people who will take advantage and it's the poor birds who suffer in the end.

Rant over !!
Charlemagne

Postby Earl Grey » 18 Apr 2009, 12:48

Does anyone know where I might find Bluebelles in France?? I called a supplier ages ago in England who said he got all of his from France....but where?????

Sneak was rescued from a neighbours dinner table and definitely left an indelible mark, a magnificent girl who left me with a son, a feisty lad called Fizz Bang.....
Earl Grey

Postby Ellie May » 16 May 2009, 16:53

I've had lots of bluebelles and recently added a POL pullet to our little flock. She started laying last week and - much to my surprise - she is also laying blue eggs. I've never come across this before, all the others we've had have laid the standard light brown eggs. I emailed the breeder who sold her to me, but he didn't have any suggestions about how she might be doing it. I did wonder if she wasn't really a bluebelle, but she looks exactly like one to me.
Ellie May

Postby Phill » 22 Oct 2009, 11:17

Just bought two bluebeles named Tilda and Lily one has a slightly reddy brown necklace but the rest of her is all Bluebele can anyone tell me anything about them??? Ive come to realise that they are very docile and almost make no noise at all but no eggs ^_^
Phill

Postby Student Photographer » 12 Nov 2009, 15:29

I'm a photography student from Newport, South Wales. I am currently making a project about chickens and am looking for various breeds to photograph. Would anyone be interested? I'd preferably want to photograph chickens near to South Wales but if you don't, just still let me know if you're interested and I might be able to sort something out.

Emily
Student Photographer

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds