• Advertisement
Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

Appenzellers

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Postby Magpie » 04 Sep 2007, 21:00

I went to the sale at Mildenhall (Fabian Eagle) on Sunday intending to get some Sussex pullets and a trio of bantam Vorwerks. Well I got the Sussex but the Vorwerks went way beyond my budget. Earlier in the sale a trio of young gold Appenzellers had gone unsold but I couldn't bid for them as I expected to get the others at the end of the sale - so I went and spoke to the auctioneer and bought the trio for a song...

Here are a couple of pics in the quarantine ark, with the light Sussex.

Never thought I would like birds with hats but these are so inquisitive and friendly, chooks with character. :lol:
Bantam Lakenvelder, Vorwerk and Dutch, large fowl Appenzeller Spitzhauben and Sussex and now Fayoumi :-)
Magpie
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 0 post

Postby CP » 05 Sep 2007, 01:41

Lovely birds. :D
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.''
- Albert Schweitzer
CP

Liked in: 98 posts

Postby Magpie » 03 Nov 2007, 21:32

Here they are looking a bit tidier - but still moulting, the cockerels tail is only half grown!

Tim
Bantam Lakenvelder, Vorwerk and Dutch, large fowl Appenzeller Spitzhauben and Sussex and now Fayoumi :-)
Magpie
Hen
Hen

Postby Magpie » 21 Nov 2007, 18:33

Eggs!!! First eggs laid by them today - one from each hen :lol: . But what a funny time to start laying - about 30 weeks old and the middle of November...

Tim
Magpie
Hen
Hen

Postby Sparklepeeps » 10 Dec 2007, 20:18

Magpie, your chicken photo just poped up in the top right hand corner and it made me and OH laugh so much that we had to open up the photo to have a proper look, they are very pretty. We want an elvis hen now! What colour eggs do they lay and how often?

oh and what other colours do they come in?
1 x Blue Tabby Tortie Devon Rex Cat "Minnie-Maude" | 1 x Miniature Schnauzer "Lola" | 1 x Bluebelle Hybrid Imaginatively named "Bluebelle" | 1 x White Star "Angel" | 1 x Golden Comet Hybrid "Autumn" | 1 x Maran - "Dotty" | 1 x Crested Cream Legbar (Allegedly!) - "Judy" | 1 x Electric Fence - which is easy-peasy, Thanks to you lot!
Sparklepeeps
Hen
Hen

Postby Magpie » 10 Dec 2007, 21:17

I know what you mean, I did the same with another photo the other day :lol:

I'm getting medium sized white eggs, probably 2 every 3 days at the moment - I think only one bird laying so far. Good yellow yolks in them.

The most common colour, if you can call it that, is Silver Spangled. My Gold Spangled ones are pretty rare, not that I knew that when I got them :roll: . There may be some all Black ones about in the UK as well. They come in other colours on the continent apparently but I've never seen them: White, Gold, Blue Spangled are mentioned but I don't know if they still exist or not - apparently there were at least ten colours in the 19th century.

There are a few pics of the silver spangled ones on feathersite.

I hope to get some more gold-spangled ones in the spring to give me another blood-line then I'll try and start breeding :lol: .

Tim
Magpie
Hen
Hen

Postby debcat » 10 Dec 2007, 21:19

they lay white eggs and are not bad layers
silver is the other colour

we're all sane it's the rest of the world thats mad!
debcat

Liked in: 7 posts

Postby Magpie » 29 Dec 2007, 20:30

The cockerels tail has grown now so I took another pic today. Has anyone got the standards and can you tell me what you think please? I'm a bit bothered by the gold in his tail as I think that males are meant to have an all black tail?

There are a couple of extra photos in my gallery of the others as well.

Tim
Magpie
Hen
Hen

Postby ntsmama » 11 Feb 2008, 19:27

Are they good mums?
ntsmama

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Magpie » 11 Feb 2008, 19:30

I don't think they sit at all :? I've got some in the 'bator now but my candler hasn't turned up so I can't tell if they are fertile yet (day 9).

Tim
Magpie
Hen
Hen

Breed info

Postby gardie » 15 Sep 2008, 12:40

I received a pair of silver spangled appenzellers last month and do not know much about this breed regarding breeding conditions?
Does anyone know a book title on these birds?
These birds are very grand and friendly.
2 Isa Browns Girls, 3 Bantam Girls, 1 Silver Spangled Appenzeller Cockerel / hen, 1 Silver Spangled Appenzeller Cockerel /3 Silver Spangled Appenzeller Hens, 1 Red Saddled Yokohama Cockerel / 7 Hens, 2 Red Saddled Yokohama Pairs, 1 Light Sussex Cockerel (Titan), 1 Cream Legbar Cockerel / 4 Cream Legbar Girls, 8 Light Sussex X Isa Brown Girls, 1 White Frizzle Cockerel / 3 White Frizzle Hens, 30 hens of the above breeds, 1 Ebdon girl, 3 Chinese Geese girls & 1 boy, 1 Black x Bronze turkey Boy & 1 Black turkey girl, 6 Soay Ewes & 3 Rams, 2 Saddleback x GOS Gilts, 2 Saddleback Gilts.
gardie
Chick
Chick

Re: Appenzellers

Postby smileysal » 21 Aug 2009, 17:40

Hi guys, thought I would resurrect this thread, we have a trio of silver spangled Spitz and looking to get some gold too.
We're in Shropshire and was just wondering if any of the other Shropshire peeps still visit this site. (I'm aware the posts are quite old)
If I get any replies/interest I'll stick some photos up!
Checkout Jack TheGoose on Facebook
Also checkout our website http://jackthegoose.weebly.com/
smileysal
Chick
Chick

Postby debcat » 21 Aug 2009, 18:43

piccies please
I have 2 silver girls but sadly lost the cockerel early this year
we're all sane it's the rest of the world thats mad!
debcat

Liked in: 7 posts

Postby smileysal » 22 Aug 2009, 09:05

Charlie
Stan and Ollie
Ollie
Checkout Jack TheGoose on Facebook
Also checkout our website http://jackthegoose.weebly.com/
smileysal
Chick
Chick

Postby Appenzeller » 22 Aug 2009, 12:20

Nice to see so many people are interested in this breed. I keep all three colours standardised by the Poultry Club (Silver Spangled, Gold Spangled & Blacks)

A couple of pics of birds bred this year.

Appenzeller

Liked in: 1 post

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds