Marans

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Marans

Postby storminstaffs » 04 Apr 2011, 12:00

charliebear85 wrote:does anyone kno if these are pure or cross breed marans?

chick one

chick two

Image Image

cheers

they still look young but very red in the comb and waddles/wattles whatever you call them :lol: so i'm saying roo's and they look like crosses, do you have any pictures of them when they just hatched out?
storminstaffs

Liked in: 1 post

Postby charliebear85 » 04 Apr 2011, 22:27

here they are at 2 days old u cant really see them properly but they are all black with white chests and white tips on the wings

charliebear85

Postby ChookMad » 26 Aug 2011, 14:07

heneypenny wrote:My marens eggs are brown with darker spots on....wonder why?

Don't know, but mine is the same and I was wondering if I've been "had" and she's not a pure breed. Could this be the case does anyone know? She LOOKS lie a maran to me.
ChookMad

Postby darkbrowneggs » 26 Aug 2011, 15:47

There is loads of info about Marans, both the English clean legged type and the French type on The Marans Club of Great Britain website http://www.themaransclub.co.uk

"Marans" can lay a variety of shades of brown eggs, but should be capable of producing a colour 4 egg "at some time" during their laying cycle. In general the best colour eggs are produced during the spring (though the potential quality of the egg should not be judged until a pullet has laid at least 20 eggs). During the laying cycle the first of the "clutch" will mostly be the darkest, then tailing off somewhat until the natural break.

Many Marans will lay a speckled egg - sometimes this happens early in the laying year, and then the colour will even out as the season progresses. Show-winning stock may produce paler shelled eggs, as the qualities which are being selected for may not include shell colour as one of the criteria of that particular breeder, and even if he/she is also showing eggs they may run two separate lines - one for eggs, and one for showing birds - as it is not always the most perfectly "correct" show bird which lays the best eggs.

Also many outside factors may affect shell colour even if the bird is genetically selected to produce the best eggs. Illness of any sort will have a bad effect, as will mites and lice, and stress of any kind, including bad housing and hygiene, and predator problems, including rodents.

Obviously the first step is to buy from someone who genuinely cares about the breed, so maybe join The Marans Club, and do some research before buying birds or eggs.

All the best
Sue :)
To follow my travel journal see www.thebusphoebeandme.us For lots of info on keeping and breeding Marans see www.darkbrowneggs.info
darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 32 posts

Postby Sunny Sablepoots » 27 Dec 2011, 21:06

This is Gypsy she's a REAL charact
Sunny Sablepoots

Postby darkbrowneggs » 27 Dec 2011, 23:13

Hi there - Nice looking bird, and well photographed. She is a nicely marked Cuckoo. Is she laying yet? Why not send a photo of some of the eggs?

Hope you and the hens are having a good Christmas
To follow my travel journal see www.thebusphoebeandme.us For lots of info on keeping and breeding Marans see www.darkbrowneggs.info
darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 32 posts

Postby Sunny Sablepoots » 27 Dec 2011, 23:23

Hi thanks yes she has started laying but has stopped for the winter will get photo's of the eggs when she starts again.
Thanks we are having a great christmas and i hope your having a nice christmas too. :grin:
Sunny Sablepoots

Postby Wilt » 04 Jan 2012, 13:49

darkbrowneggs wrote:Hi there - Nice looking bird, and well photographed. She is a nicely marked Cuckoo. Is she laying yet? Why not send a photo of some of the eggs?

Hope you and the hens are having a good Christmas

Nicely marked, but yellow legs Sue?
Chickens, are also food for the soul!

http://www.coachhousecochins.com
Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 16 posts

Postby brandanexile » 25 Jan 2012, 19:46

Aye I wondered about the leg colour too Tim,
brandanexile

Postby Sisterhood » 27 Aug 2013, 10:48

Dear all,

A mystery is emerging in our flock - We were sold this hen at 10 weeks old as a Copper/Black Maran - but she looks exactly like a Barnevelder - has the breeder messed up? They don't even advertise Barnevelders for sale...

Any thoughts? I'll post in the Barnevelder thread as well!

Ta
Sophie
Sisterhood
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Sisterhood » 27 Aug 2013, 10:50

PS - we got her about 11 weeks ago, so she is now 21 weeks old - Not 10 weeks as I've implied above!
Sisterhood
Chick
Chick

Postby laffinfowl » 27 Aug 2013, 11:31

Yes the breeder has defintely messed up somewhere,whether a Barnevelder cock has been jumping the fence or not is a possiblity but its certainly not a Black Copper Maran.
Nice bird though and as i don,t know a whole lot about the Barnevelder as regards sexing if it turns out to be a hen then might be worth holding onto,not the greatest layers in the world but fairly hardy and nice to look at.
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Postby Sisterhood » 27 Aug 2013, 20:03

Yes she certainly is a stunner!
It will be a shame not to get the dark brown eggs, but not to worry!

Should we tell the breeder?
Sisterhood
Chick
Chick

Postby laffinfowl » 27 Aug 2013, 20:12

I would,if you really wanted a Maran thats what you should have been given but if you,re happy enough to keep the bird then just let them know what you ended up with,its possibly accidental and not intentional,won,t do any harm to let them know.
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Postby wcah80 » 24 Nov 2013, 14:15

Hi i bought 5 cookoo marans about 8 weeks ago suposed to have been 18 weeks old but they have only just started to lay. One of the has a much larger comb than the rest an white ears is this a narmal thing or a problem. I have also attached a pic of there eggs the one on the right is the maran and the left is from a warren. Will the marans eggs get darker or do you think they are a cross bread?
Many thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wcah80
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds