Plymouth Rock

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Plymouth Rock

Postby CP » 04 Sep 2008, 01:31

Thread for Plymouth Rock. :wink:
CP

Liked in: 171 posts

Postby Henwife » 04 Sep 2008, 09:58

A dual purpose bird which comes in a number of colours. The barred variety is the basis for all the auto sexing breeds. They are slow to feather, and don't hatch with yellow legs - in fact the hatchlings looks very similar to cuckoo marans for some time. Despite thier slow start, they mature early and have a good reputation as winter layers of large tinted eggs.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Re: Plymouth Rock

Postby SpringRB » 21 Nov 2009, 17:39

Hi,
I have LF Buff Plymouth Rocks. They are fantastic birds. They have been very popular this year with buyers. Does anyone else have any of these birds?
SpringRB

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Anne » 22 Nov 2009, 15:25

I would be very interested in any info on these birds as I have heard they are very friendly and like the look of the barred. Was going to get Speckeldys but saw these. I realise Speckeldys are better layers - wondered about the size difference also.
Anne

Postby SpringRB » 23 Nov 2009, 13:09

Hi,
These birds generally lay 4/5 eggs per wekk. The birds themselves are roughly the same size. They are approximately the same size as orpingtons, though not the feathery monsters the orpingtons have become. They are a neat and friendly bird who are quite happy foraging thought they do tend to empty the feed hopper onto the floor and not scrat to pick it up. Generally a good idea to suspend the hoppers in the rock pens. They cant scrat the food onto the floor.

Hope this helps.
SpringRB

Postby Anne » 23 Nov 2009, 21:37

they don't tell you that in books do they? They sound lovely - will put them on my shortlist - thankyou.
Anne

Postby dara » 27 Nov 2009, 19:17

SpringRB wrote:Hi,
I have LF Buff Plymouth Rocks. They are fantastic birds. They have been very popular this year with buyers. Does anyone else have any of these birds?

Hi there
We have a trio who we instend to start breeding with next year, it was quite hard to get hold of them as there didn't seem to be many around but realised pleased we stuck it out as the temperant is lovely and they look great. :grin:
dara

Postby xxchicketyboooxx » 14 Jul 2010, 19:26

I have 3 9 week old barred rocks.....
Image :grin: :grin:
xxchicketyboooxx

Postby laffinfowl » 14 Jul 2010, 20:28

Did you buy them sexed or hatch them yourself ?,I have eight barred rock chicks from a cross of barred plymouth rock cock and welsummer hens,nice strong chicks just wondering how early can you sex them accurately?
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Postby xxchicketyboooxx » 14 Jul 2010, 21:03

laffinfowl wrote:Did you buy them sexed or hatch them yourself ?,I have eight barred rock chicks from a cross of barred plymouth rock cock and welsummer hens,nice strong chicks just wondering how early can you sex them accurately?

I hatched these myself so really can't help you with sexing im useless with this.....i have been told that my 3 are female by a few people if that helps????

x
xxchicketyboooxx

Postby clairecmitch » 23 Jan 2011, 15:26

Hiya,

I've attached a pic of my 13 week old chook, which I think is a barred plymouth rock ?
We have a mix of chooks including Marans, & Sussex and this one was 1 of 3 hatched by our broody girl.
Can anyone advise if this looks like a cock or a hen ??

clairecmitch

Postby laffinfowl » 23 Jan 2011, 16:18

It,s not a BPR Clairemitch,would have good yellow coloured legs if it was and the barring would be much more neat and defined,i,d say Cuckoo Maran and a cock.
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Postby Dice » 11 Feb 2011, 23:56

I thought the barring does not go all up the neck on a Cuckoo Maran? Looks like a Barred, and yes, a cock.
Dice

Postby dara » 17 Sep 2011, 10:08

Does anyone know whether the dot on the head of the check indicates sex at all. I have hatcdhed Barred Plymouth Rocks and our of about 15 chicks they all seem to have some sort of spot but it varies in size.

Thank you
Dara
dara

Postby laffinfowl » 17 Sep 2011, 16:46

Supposedly the more defined and white the spot means a cockerel,splodgy or ill defined spots mean pullets but to be honest i,ve found it,s not a foolproof method of sexing and normally wait for a while and watch behaviour and bigger combs and wattles.
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Next

Return to Breeds