Chicken coop; wood vs tin

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

lifeflower
Chick
Chick

Chicken coop; wood vs tin

Post by lifeflower » 08 Dec 2015, 09:47

I am looking at setting up a new chicken area, and putting the kid's rabbits (flemish giants) in the old coop. I am debating between building a wooden plywood type and the Qiq Fix fowl house that is sold at Bunnings Warehouse. It is similar to a tin garden shed, however I live in chch so was wondering if cold may be a problem with them, even if I cover some of the mesh windows..tai game dua xe

Oops! I meant to post in general, not the library
Last edited by lifeflower on 12 Jan 2016, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Chicken coop; wood vs tin

Post by Henwife » 09 Dec 2015, 08:39

I would be far more concerned about heat than cold, but not knowing where you live, have no idea of your weather conditions. With it's back to the wind, and in adequate shade, it could be OK and certainly predator proof at night or on occasions when they need to be kept in. Chicken dislike wet (well most chicken), so a big open area might need some protection.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Chicken coop; wood vs tin

Post by MamaOwl » 07 Jan 2016, 17:54

Hmm it's not exactly cosy is it? They have to sleep in the 'open' almost... nothing to hide behind, nowhere to lay eggs, I'm not too keen on that shed.. looks more like an aviary for breeding budgies or something.
Mum to 5, grandmother to 2, wife to 1