Cream legbar & crested cream legbar genetics:

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Cream legbar & crested cream legbar genetics:

Post by brooksidepoultry » 02 Sep 2015, 23:56

Hi guys listen just a quick query but I've got a crested cream legbar boy whos recently lost his only girly so I'm looking for some more, but I was wondering if I crossed him to some none crested cream legbars will I still get the autosexing gene & what colour eggs - at my guess they'd be a mix of wite & blue. Ideas please.
A country lass who loves it all x.

Fast Farmer
Chick
Chick

Re: Cream legbar & crested cream legbar genetics:

Post by Fast Farmer » 03 Sep 2015, 01:27

I have been unable to locate a link to a website that indicates that autosexing is possible between almost any of the auto sexing breeds. I have Bielefelders and Rhodebars which are auto sexing, from my understanding if I crossed them the chicks can be sexed at day old. I'll leave Hen-Gen to advise on egg colour as a cross between my birds is brown-ish.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 03 Sep 2015, 06:52

Only a small point, but if the hen is uncrested, she's not a Cream Legbar. I spent many years breeding these, so I'm not just being pikky. That being the case, it's anybody's guess as to what colour eggs you'll get, but unless you intend to sell hatching eggs as Cream Legbars, it doesn't really matter. A mixed colour box of eating eggs is always attractive.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Post by brooksidepoultry » 04 Sep 2015, 21:48

Well the hen & cock I had I purchased as "Crested cream legbars" & I thought you could get none crested as well but I want a rough idea of the genetics as I want to in future sell hatching chicks & day olds x.
A country lass who loves it all x.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 09 Sep 2015, 11:09

British Poultry Standards state quite firmly that the Cream Legbar is a crested variety (of Legbar). Unfortunately, when these became a fashionable bird to have, they were mixed with a number of other breeds, mainly of the white leghorn type, to improve egg production. Ebay has a lot to answer for, but ignorance probably more. Their breeding is complicated and incurs a very high wastage of unsuitable birds (I know this because I thought it might be fun to breed a bantam version).
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.