Chicken Bully

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Chicken Bully

Postby malkered » 16 May 2015, 22:47

I recently rescued a mistreated red hen who I believe is around 6-8 months old.

I bought a 17 week old Amber hybrid as company for her and the two of them very quickly got on well.

I then heard about a 14000 strong flock from a free range egg farm which, at 18 months old were due to go for slaughter.

I rescued two of these birds (I'm not sure what breed they are) and put them in with the original two hens.

They live in an 8 foot by 4 foot coop with a 6 foot x 6 foot outside enclosure.

The new birds have settled in and have continued to lay.

One of the new birds seems to have fitted in with the others but the other one pecks at the other three but totally bullies the red hen who is the biggest bird but the most placid. When she is sat on her perch the bully sits right next to her and pecks at her.

I rescued these birds as I couldn't bear to let them be slaughtered but I'm not happy that our lovely red hen is being attacked in her own home.

Any ideas?
malkered
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Chicken Bully

Postby Hen-Gen » 16 May 2015, 23:12

Sorry to hear that you are having this experience. It is, unfortunately, a common event. The underlying cause is that chickens have quite well developed flock hierarchies and newcomers do represent a threat. In the late Autumn and Winter hens can be mixed and matched with few problems. However in the breeding season, which we are now in, they an be very aggressive to strangers.
Various strategies have been suggested over the years like housing the birds separately but within sight to allow familiarisation or introducing incomers at night but the truth is, unpalatable as it may seem, is that introductions at this time of year are doomed to failure. Quite frankly I would kill the offending hen and learn from the experience. If you need new hens in future then get them during the Oct-Jan period.
If you have nothing
Give it away

Fast Farmer likes this post.
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby Fast Farmer » 17 May 2015, 01:18

Depends what you class as bullying, the odd peck or full blown victimisation and beating up. If the latter, you could try removing the bully to another coop, dog cage etc on her own. Then re-introduce her 3 or 4 days later (at night), when SHE may inherit the position of "bottom of the pecking order" from the now established hens. The outcome could go 3 ways, peace and harmony, she could go back to her old ways.........or she could become the victim of bullying !!!!! As HG said, culling might be the only way forward if all attempts fail.
Fast Farmer
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Fast Farmer » 24 May 2015, 02:12

Why oh why do we bother to answer novice chickeneers problems when there is not the slightest bit of thanks or feedback ?
Fast Farmer
Chick
Chick

Postby ladyplumber » 24 May 2015, 14:00

Errrm ...... personally, I don't answer or attempt to help novice "chickeneers" with the expectation of thanks or even feedback - I help where I can on the offchance that some of my advice is used, and problems either for the poultry keeper or the poultry flock then have a chance of being avoided.

Also we all have a life off of the computer, and can't always return here promptly enough to give thanks etc to whosoever is able to give it.

I just feel that last comment was rather harsh Fast Farmer, and could easily put a new member off from using this forum in the future.
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

2 people like this post.
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby Fast Farmer » 25 May 2015, 00:56

Harsh though it may seem, a little thanks and recognition goes a long way in trying to preserve what is left of the once vibrant world of poultry forums. Given the urgency of the originators post I doubt very much if he/she had waited 8 days to pop in for a peep at replies. Personally, I thank anyone who answers a question I have.....check out my posts !!! Sadly Facebook is now dominating the once lively banter of the online forums, you only have to look how many posts there have been in the past week here. A little common courtesy would slow down the demise of forums and go a long way to ensuring replies come from far and wide beyond moderators alone.
Fast Farmer
Chick
Chick

Postby Henwife » 25 May 2015, 07:04

So that's what's happened to Forums. I had wondered.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby Hen-Gen » 25 May 2015, 10:34

I've come to the conclusion that human etiquette has evolved and left me behind in my own private ecosystem. How many times have I had the following conversation in my house:-
Guests mobile rings - 'Do you mind if I get this?
Me - 'Yes, I do actually'

Sent my 13 yo god-daughter £50 for her birthday in January. A thank you would have been nice. Eventually had to check with her father that she'd received it.

Now I do not pretend to have been schooled by Hyacinth Bouquet. But some basic courtesy would be nice. In my mind courtesy flows from respect for the individual,ergo no courtesy means no respect. And if you don't respect me then I feel under no obligation to respect you (though I generally do because I was brought up that way and I'm a wimp).
If you have nothing
Give it away

3 people like this post.
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby Fast Farmer » 26 May 2015, 01:26

In my mind feedback has multiple benefits. It provides the option of active online discussion and to share various solutions throughout the chook world, it may also encourage offline "lurkers" to come "online" and offer their view. H.G. - likewise, cheques to nephew and niece xmas and birthdays [-(
Fast Farmer
Chick
Chick

Postby Henwife » 26 May 2015, 21:37

I am particularly ferocious about gifts. If the recipient can't be bothered to acknowledge one, they don't get another.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

3 people like this post.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby CP » 27 May 2015, 09:51

I've noticed that sometimes new members join just to get an answer to a specific question but never appear again on the forums.... :o Who knows the reasons why?

Sadly it is true that Facebook (& perhaps other forums!) seem to have spirited away some of our more lively members as there's not as much of the usual banter we've enjoyed in the past. :(

But some of us are still here \:D/ , so lets not dwell on negative issues & things we have no control over. Hopefully we will all still give our knowledge & help freely as we've done since the start of PK. It would be nice to always get the thanks that we deserve afterwards but please don't let it influence your decisions whether to give that help or not. [-o<
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

ladyplumber likes this post.
CP

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby drfish » 29 May 2015, 10:42

I'm still around, albeit fleeting currently due to work commitments (it's about the only time I sit in front of a PC, and I can't get on with forums on my phone).

It is true though, forums are a dying breed. Unfortunately the social media boom of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc has kind of taken over what forums used to provide. And to me, it's not necessarily a better thing. But, it's not just the chicken world, forums of every flavour are going down. I used to be an active member of a few car forums, and they've gone the same way. They're just really there for archival purposes now.

But I do agree with the above sentiment. A little gratitude goes a long way, and costs nothing but a few seconds of your time. I was brought up, not dragged up. :mrgreen:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

2 people like this post.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby organic chick » 30 May 2015, 19:25

Yes I am still around too but only pop in now and again, usually to trawl through something in the archives. I tend to be on FB more as its also a way of keeping in touch with my far flung global relations and friends. Sign of the times I suppose, we all live in different continents and life continues to change in this digital age.
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Postby malkered » 14 Jan 2016, 23:18

Fast Farmer wrote:Why oh why do we bother to answer novice chickeneers problems when there is not the slightest bit of thanks or feedback ?

My most sincere apologies for appearing rude and not responding. My laptop developed a fault shortly after joining the forum and by the time I had it functioning again I forgot which forum I had joined. I just came across a confirmation email hence my reappearing now. I appreciate your feedback and advice which I have just seen and I am grateful. However, seeing the response that my unintentional apparent ingratitude got maybe it's best that I log off and never darken your forum again.
malkered
Chick
Chick

Postby malkered » 14 Jan 2016, 23:38

Also, not wanting to be obtuse if you had looked at my user statistics you would have noticed that my last visit to the forum (until today) was at 22.47 on the 16th, almost half an hour before Hen-Gen's reply, I hadn't successfully logged on to see your responses. I really do appreciate that you took the time to respond with your help and advice and I'm sorry that it came across that I was lacking in etiquette, common courtesy or gratitude but the fact is I didn't see your replies until today. My lack of response was due to a technology failure and not a defect in my personality. Thanks and Goodbye.
malkered
Chick
Chick

Next

Return to General & Misc