Purchasing hens.

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Rustyroots
Chick
Chick

Purchasing hens.

Post by Rustyroots » 10 Sep 2014, 20:05

Hi All,

All being well I should be getting my hens at the weekend. I live in Solihull, West mids and have a couple of places to choose from. Does anyone have any recommendation of where or where not to purchase them from based on there experiences?

Rusty

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Purchasing hens.

Post by kated » 11 Sep 2014, 10:29

Be sure to look at how the chickens are being kept. If the conditions are clean and they look bright eyed and healthy, that's what you must go for. Can't give you any recommendations as I live in Norfolk, but I would have expected someone else on here to have given you a few suggestions by now. Good luck!

Sorry if I am teaching granny to suck eggs!

Rustyroots
Chick
Chick

Post by Rustyroots » 11 Sep 2014, 17:18

Thanks for the reply Kated. You are not teaching me to suck eggs, all advice great fully accepted. I did think that someone would have given me some recommendation by now though. The places I know of are clean and when I have been there before have been very helpfull and gave me good advice, but one is 70 mile round trip and £16 per hen and the other is local but doesn't keep a lot of stock and when I spoke to him about a month ago said that he only sells them till the end of August so may not have any.

Rustu

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 11 Sep 2014, 22:36

Happychicks in Pilling near Blackpool supply a variety of breeds at varying ages and deliver nationwide. My very first hybrids came from here.

http://www.happychicks.co.uk/

It may be worth having a look at their website :)
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

organic chick
Chick
Chick

Post by organic chick » 11 Sep 2014, 22:48

Not sure how far you want to travel but we have been delighted with Rachel in Dore. http://www.bankviewfarm.co.uk
We have had two lots of hens now. Also excellent after sales service. I personally would visit one or two to compare, take advice already given and then follow gut feelings. Good luck.
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser