carcase disposal

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

soufle
Chick
Chick

carcase disposal

Post by soufle » 19 Aug 2014, 10:30

how does everyone dospose of their dead hens. I had to bury one this morning :( ,I buried it at the very bottom of the veggie patch ,it was very hard digging (as in crowbar )to get a hole deep enough to be pretty sure Mr.Fox wouldnt dig it up again . As I was toiling over this hole I was pondering over what others do, how do people with no (or small) gardens go on.? What are the legalities of disposal ?

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: carcase disposal

Post by drfish » 19 Aug 2014, 11:00

I double bin liner them and put them in the normal rubbish bin. I figure by the time they get to the tip, the great circle of life will be in full effect.

I never bury or leave them anywhere near the chickens though, that just encourages Foxy. They can smell a rotting carcass a good few feet in the ground from what I gather. Look how deep they bury their own cache.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 19 Aug 2014, 21:18

thanks Drfish , thats an idea. The hens and the veggie patch are a good way away from each other so that shouoldnt be a problem.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 20 Aug 2014, 06:53

Logic says they should be put out with food waste if your local council has a weekly collection.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

Moriarty

Post by Moriarty » 20 Aug 2014, 07:05

I'm with Dr. Fish ... they go into the rubbish bag and into the bins at the end of the road. If I buried one around here it would attract all sorts of vermin.
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Post by MrsMopp » 20 Aug 2014, 09:23

I also bag and bin. After burying 2 LF orpingtons many years ago I realised it was far too difficult (they are very large birds!) and my garden is just not big enough. I have a couple of rose bushes planted over those birds, and they are my remembrance for all the deadstock since, furry or feathery.

drfish

Post by drfish » 20 Aug 2014, 10:08

The wife and I were discussing this the other day, with regards our ageing Staffi. She's 12 now, and a little worse for wear in a mechanical sense. Legs are starting to give way etc. The missus' mother is keen to bury her, rather than have her cremated, as she has always done with all her dogs (little ankle biters mainly). But she's a bloody 6 stone dog. I'd need a JCB to dig a hole for her. Think we've finally decided on cremation though, and then she can live on the mantlepiece.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Post by Hen-Gen » 20 Aug 2014, 10:18

Ditto re the bin man
BUT:-
I'm sure I read a while ago that as agricultural animals dead chickens have to be taken to a licenced incinerator (ie your vet).

If, of course, you left your chickens out intending to take them to the incinerator the following morning and a fox took them during the night then this would be outwith your control.
By the way, Drfish, I've had two terriers die in the last ten years and both went the same way as my chickens ie double bagged and out for the bin man. However they were not 6 stone!
If you have nothing
Give it away

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 20 Aug 2014, 16:40

when my very old faithful GSD died we buried him in the garden, much bigger than a staff and probably heaver. yet my parents have always had there JR terriers cremated, i suppose its personal choice. Ive not lost a hen yet so thinking about it i will probably use the dust bin.
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

drfish

Post by drfish » 20 Aug 2014, 16:53

That was the M-I-L's justification, her family used to bury GSD's when they used to breed them. I dread to think how many are buried in their old family home down the road from us. They bred something like 150 in the 1950's and 1960's. She's only had little dogs since then, and a couple of GSD's, but all have been buried.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 22 Aug 2014, 06:36

our bin only gets emptied every other week . Ive noticed lots of maggots in it already this year.However the trend seems to be pointing towards bagging and binning. Thanks.
Family pets always get burried in the garden but we've generally only had one at a time.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 22 Aug 2014, 07:17

In the days that I had sufficient poultry for them to be registered, I found they were registered as pets, so there's nothing to stop you burying them in the garden. We too have a fortnightly 'black sack' collection, but a large number of foxes and buzzards should it be the wrong week. The waste food collection is weekly, but we have never used it.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.