Can chickens have bones

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Kelly-salmon
Pullet
Pullet

Can chickens have bones

Post by Kelly-salmon » 13 Oct 2013, 16:16

Can someone put an end to an arguement that have been going on all morning my dad was dehorning a leg of pork earlier and wanted to give the bones to my girls my mum says that chickens shouldn't have meat or bones and I don't know

son of eddy
Pullet
Pullet

Re: Can chickens have bones

Post by son of eddy » 13 Oct 2013, 18:35

I think this might answer your question -
Henwife wrote:If you can find a butcher to give you some meaty bones "for the dog" pitch those into the chicken run. Cooked bones will not do. That should satisfy their blood lust, although I rather fear I shall be jumped on from a great height from those who think chicken are either vegetarian or shouldn't be given raw meat.

nickyc
Chick
Chick

Post by nickyc » 14 Oct 2013, 08:17

Well, considering they eat worms, snails, dead mice & birds and will peck each other if one is bleeding, I don't think they're vegetarians!! Not sure about bones though, but raw meat isn't going to be a problem!

subruss

Post by subruss » 14 Oct 2013, 10:04

a bit of meat is not a problem,CHICKENS ARE OMNIVORES :thumbright:

Diane
Hen
Hen

Post by Diane » 14 Oct 2013, 11:39

I breed budgies and even for them it's recommended to give them a little cooked chicken now and again.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 14 Oct 2013, 12:15

Stick a plate of meat down and a plate of grain and watch they eat first. That's the way I look at it.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by mojo » 18 Oct 2013, 09:54

just make sure the bones are big so they cant eat
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Post by Hen-Gen » 18 Oct 2013, 18:52

Cos we all do what we do but of course you mean that you buy meaty bones and cook them specifically for your hens. To feed hens on waste from a domestic kitchen (even the outer leaves of cabbages) is against EU Regs and so we wouldn't do that. :grin:
If you have nothing
Give it away

subruss

Post by subruss » 19 Oct 2013, 16:25

:-$