Chicken adopts humans, advice needed!

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: Chicken adopts humans, advice needed!

Post by drfish » 12 Sep 2013, 13:11

The spurs are on the back of the leg, just above the ankle.

From the pics, it's looks like they are just developing now, so keep an eye on them.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Rooster Recruit
Chick
Chick

Post by Rooster Recruit » 12 Sep 2013, 13:25

Moriarty wrote: oh well done on looking after Steve, what a great story! He's survived a while in the wild so is probably pretty savvy about his own safety, and may be able to fly up to trees. Chickens can get really tame and feed from your hand, with a bit of practice, and they will follow you around anywhere. however, as you're in an office it might mean he tries to get into the office (be warned, despite trying very hard, you cannot toilet train a chicken although I understand you can buy chicken nappies!). Anyway, great story, do keep us updated on Steve and his carryings-on !
Thanks Moriarty, I would like to keep you all updated on his progress. We're very chuffed that forum members here have taken an interest in Steve. He does come into the office sometimes, but despite a couple of mishaps it's not a problem and everyone, customers included, is delighted to see him. He seems to be getting bolder, although someone accidently gave him a fright by turning on the vacuum cleaner yesterday. Fortunately Steve is very easygoing and this incident doesn't seem to have put him off.

Chicken nappies eh? What will they think of next? :grin:

Rooster Recruit
Chick
Chick

Post by Rooster Recruit » 12 Sep 2013, 13:27

drfish wrote: The spurs are on the back of the leg, just above the ankle.

From the pics, it's looks like they are just developing now, so keep an eye on them.
Will do, cheers.

Moriarty

Post by Moriarty » 13 Sep 2013, 07:15

Rooster Recruit wrote: Chicken nappies eh? What will they think of next? :grin:
You thought I was kidding? http://chickendiapers.com/ And if you think that we chicken keepers are crazy, go to the website and look at the gallery pages! I'm pretty sane by comparison!
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

Rooster Recruit
Chick
Chick

Post by Rooster Recruit » 17 Sep 2013, 16:20

Not at all, I totally believed you! But thanks for the link.

I must admit I found some of the pictures amusing, but I suppose it's a practical solution if you have house chickens. I found this product too, complete with instructional videos. The 'model' is amazingly cooperative:

http://www.hensaver.com/Hen-Holster.html

Anyway, without straying too far off-topic, I fear it wouldn't suit our Steve. We'll just let nature take its course for the time being ;)

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 17 Sep 2013, 22:19

How ridiculous and humiliated do those birds look :( The people who come up with these things really do need help and the people who buy them even more so.................What next G-Strings for when they want to take them clubbing :roll:

Great story by the way Rooster Recruit,can,t help thinking you should have called him Biggles though,best of luck with him and hope he entertains you guys for years to come :grin:

noisette
Chick
Chick

Post by noisette » 20 Sep 2013, 23:15

What a heartwarming story! Could only happen in the UK :grin: I recently re-homed my cockerel with his three ladies, and miss his antics and announcements terribly.
Makes a refreshing change to the attitude locally...my neighbour breaks the wings of her hens routinely, to stop them free-ranging :( and follows a policy of 'making them suffer' so they produce more eggs. Lovely woman :?
Anyway, hugs to all you caring folk at the airfield and gros bisous to Steve. Hope he has a long and happy life \:D/

Rooster Recruit
Chick
Chick

Post by Rooster Recruit » 25 Sep 2013, 19:59

laffinfowl wrote:What next G-Strings for when they want to take them clubbing :roll:

Great story by the way Rooster Recruit,can,t help thinking you should have called him Biggles though,best of luck with him and hope he entertains you guys for years to come :grin:
Thank you, that disturbing image puts me in mind of a Gary Larson cartoon! I don't suppose the chickens are too troubled by these fashion accessories...but it does seem rather undignified from a human pespective...and far more bother than the alternative.

Rooster Recruit
Chick
Chick

Post by Rooster Recruit » 25 Sep 2013, 20:11

noisette wrote:What a heartwarming story! Could only happen in the UK :grin: I recently re-homed my cockerel with his three ladies, and miss his antics and announcements terribly.
Makes a refreshing change to the attitude locally...my neighbour breaks the wings of her hens routinely, to stop them free-ranging :( and follows a policy of 'making them suffer' so they produce more eggs. Lovely woman :?
Anyway, hugs to all you caring folk at the airfield and gros bisous to Steve. Hope he has a long and happy life \:D/
Merci bien, noisette. Your chicken-modifying neighbour sounds practically psychotic, but perhaps I just don't understand the harsh realities of La Vie Paysanne :shock:

The only negative reaction so far is the objection that putting food out for him will encourage rats and other pests, and I suppose this may be a fair point. However Steve's dining area is always cleared of leftovers each evening and his corn is safely under lock and key in a metal cabinet - no tasty morsels left sitting around overnight for scavengers.

CP

Post by CP » 26 Sep 2013, 02:17

If the food is cleared away & no access left for rats, then I can't see it being a problem. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

Rooster Recruit
Chick
Chick

Post by Rooster Recruit » 15 Aug 2014, 01:27

Eleven months on and our Steve is still hale and hearty, and a fair bit heftier.

He's become quite a celebrity around Elstree and has many fans of all ages, including children. In fact almost everyone seems to take him to their hearts straight away.

I'd been shooting some stills and video of him one day and realised that if I followed him around I might capture the essence of his daily routine. As we often joke about him being an integral part of the company I thought it would be fun to present this in the style of a rather dated corporate video, perhaps from the 1970s or thereabouts. And so I spent an afternoon trying to catch him at the activities that would tell that story in a (hopefully) amusing way.

Here's the video, should anyone fancy a look:

http://tinyurl.com/m737hsm

I hope it's clear that this is very tongue-in-cheek; I'm not trying to anthropomorphise his behaviour. Despite our affection for him he is, as I see it, a semi-wild creature who happens to be at ease with people, and not a pet or something to be gawped at. Although we do tend to talk to him as you might talk to a dog, and sometimes you could swear he's got the gist.

However, he has certainly become a kind of mascot.

I showed a first cut of the film to a couple of the staff and Steve actually stood amongst our little row of chairs, looking at the computer screen and within half a minute he was crowing loudly, eventually flying up onto a desk, puffing himself up and making even more racket. I wonder if it's possible he recognised the images on screen? It seems far more likely that he responded to the sound of his own voice. Certainly he appeared to be reacting to the perceived presence of another cockerel. I must say I was very impressed with the way he seemed to be defending his territory, and felt a little proud of his bravery =D>

It doesn't seem the experience freaked him out too much as he was back to normal a half hour afterwards (he never normally crows indoors) so it seems no permanent psychological damage was inflicted. He's definitely an intelligent bird and will always try to get into any box, bag or other container to see what's in there, not unlike a domestic cat. He's still working on opening the fridge, and although he always get fresh cool water throughout the day when it's hot, he prefers to come inside and drink from a cup left on top of the cabinet where the tea / coffee making equipment lives. Having observed him hoovering up the sugar granules around that area (which can't be healthy for him) we've made a point of always wiping it down...but he still likes to stick his head in a cup to drink.

Hope this update was of interest. Thanks again for your all your advice in the early days of our interesting relationship with Steve.

Moriarty

Post by Moriarty » 15 Aug 2014, 07:39

ha ha ha ha ha EXCELLENT! Made me splutter my coffee all over the keyboard with laughter! The Health and Safety Inspection was a hoot! He looks like a much-loved and cared-for cockerel who's clearly got you all well-trained to attend to his every needs, my only concern was how long your lovely clean sofa will be poo-free!!! Great video, thanks for sharing, and for the acknowledgement on the credits at the end ....
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 15 Aug 2014, 11:54

Brilliant. Glad to see he's not only doing well, but something of a media star. Bravo to you guys for what you've done for him, or he'd likely be fox food by now.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 15 Aug 2014, 13:53

Great to see he's still hale and hearty and entertaining you guys with his antics,he looks very happy and healthy too,Cheers Andy for the update on this fortunate character,he's lucky to have found a place wheres he's very much appreciated and cared for,well done to all of you =D>

Diane
Hen
Hen

Post by Diane » 15 Aug 2014, 14:02

Wonderful clip..really enjoyed it. You have all done an excellent job taking care of him....or is it the other way round?

Well done Steve...you're a star =D>