Chickens really smell

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

bigpotey

Chickens really smell

Post by bigpotey » 09 Jul 2012, 17:28

The chickens have a slight smell but i think the problem is the pen. The rain we are having recently has slightly flooded it and it really smells rotten. You can smell it from the front door and they are about 20m away from there. Is there anything i can do to stop the smell. Also what is the source of the smell and is it bad for the chickens.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Chickens really smell

Post by Henwife » 09 Jul 2012, 17:47

Water the whole of their pen with diluted Jeyes Fluid. You're right about the wet weather being a problem - even very big runs can get smelly, and personally I prefer the smell of Jeyes.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

fakefur

Post by fakefur » 09 Jul 2012, 23:39

Plus Jeys will kill bacteria etc and hopefully avoid any illness if you do have bacteria causing the smell.

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by mojo » 10 Jul 2012, 18:05

the secret is water the run after you lock them in for the night so it has all night to soak in
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 10 Jul 2012, 18:57

Mojo, lovely to see you back :) . I use Stalonsan F which is a powder that disinfects, smells nice, gets rid of nasty niffs and kills bacteria and any nasty bugs. It also helps to dry the ground out.
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!