Bathing chickens

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Ed Woods
Chick
Chick

Bathing chickens

Post by Ed Woods » 13 May 2012, 19:42

I decided to bath a couple of my chickens yesterday. They were covered in muck and mud and looked very miserable. I just washed them in warm water, nothing added, and gently rubbed the feathers to get rid of the muck. Gently patted them dry with one of our bathroom towels (don't tell the wife) and let them sunbathe to dry out. Today both the hens are back to their fluffy selves.

Any hints and tips on bathing dirty chooks - as I have no idea if I did it right or if I should be handling them differently while cleaning the much from their feathers.

Should I just use warm water or add anything to it?
1 x Cream Legbar - called Brenda Lee
1 x White Leghorn
1 x Amber Line
3 x Speckledy
1 x Black Sussex
1 x Blue Orpingtons
1x French Copper Marans
5 x Rhode Island Reds
3 x Bluebelles
25+ ex-battery hens
4 x Bovan Goldlines
1 x Brahma (called Bertha because she is massive)
2 x Cochins (incuding Dinosaur my cockerel)
10 x Ixworths (including Genghis the cockerel)
1 x Cochin x Orpington called Omlet - currently foster mum to 4 naughty Ixworths

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Bathing chickens

Post by crazypianolady » 13 May 2012, 19:45

I use a mild pet shampoo, rinse well, and if the weather's chilly give them a blow dry with the dryer on low setting. :)

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by mojo » 15 May 2012, 13:05

do exactly as CPL says above.........blow dry what ever the weather........ then a fine film of vaseline on comb and legs well rubbed in
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend

hedgerow pete
Chick
Chick

Post by hedgerow pete » 15 May 2012, 20:27

ok so i am not the only one doing chickenbaths then

fakefur

Post by fakefur » 15 May 2012, 20:37

Nope you are not the only one:-) I bathe mine from time to time.. particularly the brahmas after we have had rain and muddy weather... I use this method... Dunk into a warm water bath with a little pet shampoo to loosen mud balls and gently agitate... then dunk into clean water bath to rinse... repeat as required... Gentle patting with a towel to absorb the worst moisture... then air dry them... I have heard of using a hairdryer on low setting, but so far have only washed them when it is warm weather and they seemed to be fine..
A dab of vasselene on comb and legs helps discourage mites and gives legs a protective coat, but be careful not to get it into feathers.
:-)

Alchemist

Bathing chickens

Post by Alchemist » 15 May 2012, 21:38

Are the chickens ok with being washed? My cat will claw arms to death to get out :-)

hedgerow pete
Chick
Chick

Post by hedgerow pete » 16 May 2012, 12:08

the trick with cats is to use the woolen setting as its more pet friendly :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

sorry had to be done,

i did it for two reasons one to clear the muck off them and the second was to kill the red mite i was killing off, we used no tears shampoo and then used ordinary conditioner on them,

the idea was it worked on the kids with nits why not red mites and it did :cheers:

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 16 May 2012, 14:03

hedgerow pete wrote:the trick with cats is to use the woolen setting as its more pet friendly :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

sorry had to be done,

i did it for two reasons one to clear the muck off them and the second was to kill the red mite i was killing off, we used no tears shampoo and then used ordinary conditioner on them,

the idea was it worked on the kids with nits why not red mites and it did :cheers:

I said the exact same thing to the wife when our cat came in filthy the other week. Didn't go down well, needless to say :mrgreen:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Kate1978
Chick
Chick

Post by Kate1978 » 18 May 2012, 21:35

Really pleased someone has asked about bathing chickens as I was just about to create a post. My 13-14 wk old Lavender pekin bantam has a bit of muck (poop) on her feathers. The thing is though she is rather skitty still and doesn't really like to be handled. I try and handle them everyday to try and get used to it. I did try and wipe the feathers with a baby wipe but she wasn't very happy. Can anyine suggest anything. Could i try and clean her whilst shes in her run? I have a cat so i'm a bit anxious about bringing Lavender into the house. Sorry to sound silly but I'm very new to keeping chickens.

flory-lorry-lawrence

Post by flory-lorry-lawrence » 18 May 2012, 22:42

Kate1978 wrote:Really pleased someone has asked about bathing chickens as I was just about to create a post. My 13-14 wk old Lavender pekin bantam has a bit of muck (poop) on her feathers. The thing is though she is rather skitty still and doesn't really like to be handled. I try and handle them everyday to try and get used to it. I did try and wipe the feathers with a baby wipe but she wasn't very happy. Can anyine suggest anything. Could i try and clean her whilst shes in her run? I have a cat so i'm a bit anxious about bringing Lavender into the house. Sorry to sound silly but I'm very new to keeping chickens.
Im pretty new to chickens aswell duck but i also have a cat and can tell you not to worry about the chicken and the cat having any issues!!! Our cat was a stray so we expected it to be a nightmare,but the cat went up to say hello to the chicken,raised a paw and took a nip to the nose lol...nothing hard just a warning, the cat and the chicken get on really well and the chicken comes to the kitchen window to fetch our cat.They also sit in the garden together and if the cat is asleep the shicken goes and sits with her while she sleeps!!! weird but very cute to look at!!

On another note......I am about to give our chicken its first bath tommorow,well if we can catch it!!! wish me luck!!!!!Plenty of people also bath their chickens in the sink!!!! youtube it for a laugh!!!

lukeross
Chick
Chick

Post by lukeross » 21 May 2012, 20:47

There's a section on washing and drying chooks in the "Haynes Chicken Manual" with several pictures; it is more intended for people looking to show, but may be of interest. It suggests baby shampoo, and an old soft toothbrush to clean nails and scales. Then dry by gently wrapping a towel round the bird. I confess I've never tried it myself.

Gracie

Post by Gracie » 23 May 2012, 19:59

I literally bathed one of my buff orpingtons today as her bum was filthy. I filled a storage box with warm water and added kids vosene shampoo. She was as good as gold. I put disposable gloves on and used old dish cloth. I put her in the utility room sink to rinse off and she then stood still for at least 10 mins whilst I blow dried her. Bonus was she didn't poo in all that time