• Advertisement
Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

Welsummer Cock x Cream Legbar Hens

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Welsummer Cock x Cream Legbar Hens

Postby stuntney » 23 Apr 2011, 11:48

Hi All,

I am trying to get Green eggs and wanted to know if I cross my Welsummer Cock with Cream Legbar hens if; (a) The offspring would produce Green egg shells? (b) Will the offspring be Autosexing and (c) if Autosexing what would be the identifier for cocks / hens in the new born chicks. Sorry for all the questions, any help would be appreciated. If anyone has crossed in the same way or has pictures of what the offspring might look like that would be great, but my main question is about the likely egg colour.

many thanks =D>
stuntney

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Welsummer Cock x Cream Legbar Hens

Postby howdale2009 » 23 Apr 2011, 17:50

Hi, im not really sure but i have just put some in our incubator welsummer cock cross cream legbar hen, i think they will look really nice but not sure if they will be autosexing, will let you know :grin:
howdale2009
Chick
Chick

Postby Henwife » 23 Apr 2011, 20:19

If pure Cream Legbars are a barred breed - and I think they might be, then in theory all cockerels will have a white head spot. Don't take this as gospel though. This would be sex linked NOT autosexing.
Any eggs are more likely to be olive rather than clear green, but rather fun anyway. I shall be interested to see what hatches.
Guinea fowl, Speckled Sussex bantams
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 191 posts

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 24 Apr 2011, 09:56

A few years ago I had a Welsummer cock and a couple of CLB hens in the egg flock - my little X breed bantam went broody so I put some of their eggs under her to see what would happen - the result was all the pullets ended up looking like Welsummers (with little crests on their heads :grin: ). I still have a couple of them and they lay Welsummer coloured eggs, just not quite so dark.
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!
Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby stuntney » 24 Apr 2011, 18:13

Thanks all - very helpfull. My next task is to see if I can get one of the girls to go broody as I don't have an incy! ](*,) Will let you know what happens.
stuntney

Return to General & Misc