Which breed of cockerel would you recommend?

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Which breed of cockerel would you recommend?

Postby littlebrownhen » 26 Apr 2010, 09:48

I had a gorgeous Welsummer we hatched oursleves, he was a true gentleman and never hurt anyone, so when he died I found another one who has been edgy, feisty and unpredictable. He has flown at me a few times, but when he really hurt my husband, he had to go. I really miss his presence, the crowing, the 'centre of attention' thing about him. What breed would members suggest as a replacement? I have a mixed flock of 9 birds, nearly all banties, ranging from Sablepoots to LF Leghorn. My favourites are Australorps, but I'm also wondering about Sussex, bantam Brahma or buff Plymouth Rock.
littlebrownhen
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Which breed of cockerel would you recommend?

Postby sunnys » 26 Apr 2010, 10:43

would you like to breed off your hens? can you tell the eggs apart?
if answer to those 2 is yes then i'd be looking at which of your hens you would like a same breed partner for.
if he is for a pretty pet then anything that takes your fancy will do but I'd keep an eye on the size as a really hefty boy could do your smaller bantam hens an injury by accident. how about a sablepoot lad? nice voice-not too loud-don't tend to damage garden or hens, rare they are nasty or flighty.
your other choices sound very nice but just watch the weights..might be worth having a look in flesh before agreeing to them in case bit too heavy.
sunnys
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby littlebrownhen » 26 Apr 2010, 12:30

I think that's good advice as far as the breeding goes, and if I go for a type I haven't already got, I'd buy a pair. I'll also probably stay with a bantam since the Welsummer was pretty destructive and we have them free ranging in the garden. Loved his looks and colour though!
littlebrownhen
Chick
Chick

Postby tweedy » 26 Apr 2010, 13:11

Bantam welsummer cock then :grin:
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby littlebrownhen » 26 Apr 2010, 21:58

would a sablepoot cockerel be Ok if I had another cockerel at later date, given 9 or 10 hens? They sound perfect, but I'd like something a bit bigger.
littlebrownhen
Chick
Chick

Postby DarraghB » 26 Apr 2010, 22:12

oh go for the welsummer bantam mine is a total pet now,once he ditched his cold that is.
DarraghB

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Woodburner » 26 Apr 2010, 23:52

Introducing another cockerel is a completely different thing. Existing adults seem fairly accepting of cockerels that were part of their flock as chicks, but eventually the youngsters are likely to challenge the older cockerel.
I currently have two flocks of nine adults, one is entirely sussexes, with just one cockerel, the other is silkies and a silkie X with three cockerels! They are penned separately, but even when let out to range they keep to their groups and don't fight. They are never out unsupervised though. I don't know what would happen if I left them out all day and they wandered into each other's 'territory'.
Woodburner
Hen
Hen

Postby tweedy » 27 Apr 2010, 00:16

Cant imagine leaving all my all cockerels together for more than 10 seconds but thats gamefowl for ya.
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 3 posts

Return to General & Misc