Which breed of cockerel would you recommend?

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Which breed of cockerel would you recommend?

Postby littlebrownhen » 26 Apr 2010, 09:48

I had a gorgeous Welsummer we hatched oursleves, he was a true gentleman and never hurt anyone, so when he died I found another one who has been edgy, feisty and unpredictable. He has flown at me a few times, but when he really hurt my husband, he had to go. I really miss his presence, the crowing, the 'centre of attention' thing about him. What breed would members suggest as a replacement? I have a mixed flock of 9 birds, nearly all banties, ranging from Sablepoots to LF Leghorn. My favourites are Australorps, but I'm also wondering about Sussex, bantam Brahma or buff Plymouth Rock.
littlebrownhen

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Which breed of cockerel would you recommend?

Postby sunnys » 26 Apr 2010, 10:43

would you like to breed off your hens? can you tell the eggs apart?
if answer to those 2 is yes then i'd be looking at which of your hens you would like a same breed partner for.
if he is for a pretty pet then anything that takes your fancy will do but I'd keep an eye on the size as a really hefty boy could do your smaller bantam hens an injury by accident. how about a sablepoot lad? nice voice-not too loud-don't tend to damage garden or hens, rare they are nasty or flighty.
your other choices sound very nice but just watch the weights..might be worth having a look in flesh before agreeing to them in case bit too heavy.
sunnys
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 42 posts

Postby littlebrownhen » 26 Apr 2010, 12:30

I think that's good advice as far as the breeding goes, and if I go for a type I haven't already got, I'd buy a pair. I'll also probably stay with a bantam since the Welsummer was pretty destructive and we have them free ranging in the garden. Loved his looks and colour though!
littlebrownhen

Postby tweedy » 26 Apr 2010, 13:11

Bantam welsummer cock then :grin:
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby littlebrownhen » 26 Apr 2010, 21:58

would a sablepoot cockerel be Ok if I had another cockerel at later date, given 9 or 10 hens? They sound perfect, but I'd like something a bit bigger.
littlebrownhen

Postby DarraghB » 26 Apr 2010, 22:12

oh go for the welsummer bantam mine is a total pet now,once he ditched his cold that is.
DarraghB

Postby Woodburner » 26 Apr 2010, 23:52

Introducing another cockerel is a completely different thing. Existing adults seem fairly accepting of cockerels that were part of their flock as chicks, but eventually the youngsters are likely to challenge the older cockerel.
I currently have two flocks of nine adults, one is entirely sussexes, with just one cockerel, the other is silkies and a silkie X with three cockerels! They are penned separately, but even when let out to range they keep to their groups and don't fight. They are never out unsupervised though. I don't know what would happen if I left them out all day and they wandered into each other's 'territory'.
Woodburner

Postby tweedy » 27 Apr 2010, 00:16

Cant imagine leaving all my all cockerels together for more than 10 seconds but thats gamefowl for ya.
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 3 posts

Return to General & Misc