The Tale of the Exploding Chicken.....

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

What should the farmer do?

Separate her for a couple of weeks?
91%
Feed her separately but leave her with the flock?
9%

Total votes: 11

EGirl

The Tale of the Exploding Chicken.....

Post by EGirl » 30 Apr 2008, 11:44

Once upon a time there was a Big White Hen. She was a happy hen, surrounded by her troupe of friends. She had plenty of space to scratch around in and lots of fresh water and food to eat.

But this wasn't enough for the Big White Hen, she pecked and bullied the other hens all day every day. She insisted on having first dibs on any food that found it's way into the run, and even policed the water drinkers, allowing the others to drink only when she deemed it acceptable. Each evening she patrolled the entrance to the bedroom, only allowing the other girls in in a certain order, pecking anyone who tried to skip the queue. She was a very bossy hen! :evil:

One day the farmer saw that she was getting very fat, and constantly had a very full crop, so she gave no treats to the hens for 3 weeks. The Big White Hen was not happy, but niether did she lose any weight. The other hens were also sad and finally the farmer gave in and put a big plate of mashed potato in the run as a special treat. :roll:

The Big White Hen dived onto the plate and ate the whole thing, not allowing anyone else a chance to partake of the rare treat. When she was finished she tried to jump off, but her crop was so full that she tripped over it and fell in the remains of the mashed potato!!! :lol: :lol:
The other hens laughed and laughed, and the farmer wondered if she should do something to stop her eating so much and bullying the other ladies? Perhaps one of these fine days she would come out to find the Big White Hen had exploded from over eating and self importance! :shock:

What would you do if you were the farmer? :?:

CP

Post by CP » 30 Apr 2008, 12:14

Sounds like she's a bully as well as a greedy-guts! :lol: Separate her for a while to hopefully get both in check. :wink:

Itsybitsy

Post by Itsybitsy » 30 Apr 2008, 12:29

I'd eat her. . . . .

Itsybitsy

milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by milkmaid » 30 Apr 2008, 15:20

we had one like that we ate her
suz
rose comb white dorking nut

bronskibeat
Hen
Hen

Post by bronskibeat » 30 Apr 2008, 15:40

Itsybitsy wrote:I'd eat her. . . . .

Itsybitsy

:lol: :lol: :lol:

sadly, thats probably the right thing to do.... she'll just go back to being a bully once put back in with the rest of the flock. What about rehoming her?
Blue is best

EGirl

Post by EGirl » 30 Apr 2008, 17:10

I could rehome, I'm sure. Though I would hate to pass on the problem. I'm hoping to get a couple of silkies soon and dread to think what she will do to them. I had thought of eating her, but I'm reluctant now that it might be a real possibility. I'll have to think hard about it. I don't want to murder a bird because she's being a bit of a pain, but she is capable of making the others' lives misery, if not there already. She's caused no injury to anyone yet though.....

CP

Post by CP » 30 Apr 2008, 18:35

The reason you isolate her is so that the others change their pecking order. When she goes back to them she will be bottom hen until she rearranges the order again. If she still gets to be top hen after that then maybe you should eat her! :lol:

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 30 Apr 2008, 19:13

Seperate her, she won't be happy, but tough.
If not eat her.

duckmomma

Post by duckmomma » 30 Apr 2008, 20:42

Could you put a beak bit? on her so she can't bully the others?