Card Making- sorry should have been in craft bit

Moderator: Moderators

Dusty
Hen
Hen

Card Making- sorry should have been in craft bit

Post by Dusty » 16 Nov 2008, 19:01

Having had lots of time recently to browse the forum I saw an old old post about making cards which i've wanted to do for ages but never had time to get organised.

Now that i've got the next four weeks off work i'd like to have a go.

I seem to recall that some people are still posting on this forum and i'd really appreciate some pointers please :P
Last edited by Dusty on 16 Nov 2008, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.

shire horse girl
Hen
Hen

Post by shire horse girl » 16 Nov 2008, 19:46

wish i was clever patient/skilled enough to make cards :( Xx

Auntie Noo

Post by Auntie Noo » 17 Nov 2008, 10:04

I tried it for a while but wasn't very good! I am a technical creator rather than an artistic one it seems so knitting - great, cards - pretty ugly!! :) I have a friend who made some and sold them for charity I'll see if her flickr album is still live!

eta: No it's not there any more, she must have deleted the photos when she sold the cards. :(

jaydee67
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by jaydee67 » 17 Nov 2008, 18:19

There are loads of ways to do cards Dusty, on the computer, printing with ink and stamps, cutting and pasting - the old fashioned way, embossing (not tried that), cross stitch, etc etc and the materials to use are endless!

Did you have anything in particular in mind?

BTW, waved my magic wand and got you over to the Crafters Corner.

Dusty
Hen
Hen

Post by Dusty » 17 Nov 2008, 21:21

Thanks Jaydee, I went blank when thinking about where to post - it came to me later as you worked out from heading :oops:

I'd like to make some special cards for close family and friends for Christmas but lots of talk of embossing / ink pads have me going DOH :roll:

I've been to Hobbycraft today and had a look around - what an amazing shop but where do you start :?: :?:

I've picked up three small cross stitch with father christmas and robins on for starters - 99p :lol:

What would I need to start with - cutting mat?, glue?, scissors - what type?

jaydee67
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by jaydee67 » 18 Nov 2008, 00:02

Never gone down the embossing route either - too complicated!

As to what you need - I did my first cards when laid up with my back and used what was in the house. Sharp scissors, paper cutter (if you're cutting card or paper to size only) and pritt stick.

Nice paper (eg handmade) can look good with torn edges and something stuck on top. I kept all my Christmas stamps from one year and used them on my cards the following years - one year they were centred on a bit of handmade paper to frame them, another year I printed the cards with the address:

Mary Christmas
1 Happy New Year
Seasons Greetings
2 YOU

and stuck the stamps in the top corner. Stamps soak off easily if left in warm water then dry on kitchen towel.

For cross stitch you can get aperture cards which hold them in place. Double sided tape is handy for this and a bit of padding behind the fabric is nice.

Sticky greetings 'Happy Christmas', etc are handy and look nice. You can also get stick on borders too.

I got wallpaper sample book and cut tree shapes out (triangles with trunks cut separately from another paper), stick on star on top.

I don't know how elaborate you want to be. These are just ideas off the top of my head. There are loads on the internet too.

Heather

Post by Heather » 20 Nov 2008, 20:33

possibly too late for this Christmas but you might find a local independent craft shop has classes on techniques you could use on your cards

diff87

card making

Post by diff87 » 01 Dec 2008, 01:23

Hi I have been making cards for about 6years or more I do mostly Decoupage I only go to hobby craft if Im really desperate for something as I find they can be expensive.Do you have free view or sky as there is a great channel called create and craft they have some good demos and sell everything you would need at reasonable prices.qvc also have a craft slot.I love card making it is very relaxing.I am new on this site and dont know how to download photos as I could show you some of mine.Hope you enjoy your card making any tips I can pass on I would be happy too.

Sylvia

Post by Sylvia » 01 Dec 2008, 06:50

Hello diff87 and welcome to the forum.
To add photos to your messages:-
If you have the photographs stored on your computer you can add them to your message either by using a hosting service like Photobucket OR if you look below the message body you will see Add image to post, if you click on this link you can browse through your stored photos (click the link again for extra photos) to add to your message.
This method gives a small thumbprint photo that people on dial-up are able to see easily (in France we still don't have ADSL everywhere).

Hope this helps, look forward to seeing your photos.

diff87

Post by diff87 » 02 Dec 2008, 21:11

diff87

Post by diff87 » 02 Dec 2008, 21:13

diff87

Post by diff87 » 02 Dec 2008, 21:19

diff87

Post by diff87 » 02 Dec 2008, 21:27

Thank you for the advice of how to down load photos.The cards are Decoupage but unfortunately the photos dont do them justice as you cant really see the depth of the 3D effect.The art work cards are Encaustic Art which is basicly hot wax art.Sorry for taking so much space up but its the first time I have uploaded photos.

debcat
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by debcat » 02 Dec 2008, 21:36

they are wonderful :D
we're all sane it's the rest of the world thats mad!

Dusty
Hen
Hen

Post by Dusty » 02 Dec 2008, 21:52

Hi Diff87,

thank you for your PM.

Your cards look fantastic. I've been having a look around and found bits and pieces in various places like Matalan - sell packs of 'confetti' - foil shapes for birthdays, christmas etc for £1 - contains about 200 pieces.

I'm going to have a go but think it may be a long time before i'm to your standard :roll:

thanks to everyone else too who has given me help here, ;you are a brilliant lot :P