Black is Beautiful

If you keep other animals for productive purposes, whether for meat, wool or bi-products, here's the area to chat. I mean, you do realise chickens are the gateway drug to other animals, don't you?

Moderator: Moderators

Black is Beautiful

Postby Hen-Gen » 14 May 2013, 16:12

Lambing five ewes this year but here's two and their progeny. For those with an interest in such things both ewes are half Texel and they went to a Zwartbles ram.
If you have nothing
Give it away

6 people like this post.
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 117 posts

Re: Black is Beautiful

Postby subruss » 14 May 2013, 16:24

Thats the colour my lamb comes out when I do the cooking :lol: . nice to see a wonderful picture :thumbright:

2 people like this post.
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Postby NannyP » 14 May 2013, 16:46

Wow, what big ears they've got :lol: :lol:
I'd never have noticed but for my own black lamb and sheep who have much smaller ears.

Love black sheep.
:grin:
NannyP

Liked in: 246 posts

Postby Woodland Hen » 15 May 2013, 15:11

Ahh they are lovely.

We looks at Zwartbles a couple of years ago, but decided not to go with them for various reasons, but the lambs you have are lovely. Ours are Llanwenogs and come out dark smokey grey, getting lighter and lighter until they look like their mums.
Barred Plymouth Rocks, Silver Pencilled and Partridge Wyandottes, 24 cows, 10 sheep, 3 horses, a cat, a dog..........always knackered!
Woodland Hen
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 43 posts

Postby HelenVF » 15 May 2013, 19:09

There are a lot of zwartbles around here and I love them!

Helen
HelenVF
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 14 posts

Postby Hen-Gen » 15 May 2013, 19:54

Plan is to combine Zwartbles (colour, prolificacy and easy lambing), Shetland (hardiness) and Texel (carcass quality) into a strain of ewe and then to mate them to a Rouge de L'Ouest ram.
Always admired Llanwenogs but they are a very localised breed. None in Shetland.
If you have nothing
Give it away
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Postby MrsMopp » 16 May 2013, 08:22

My SIL was brought up in rural Ireland and went to work on a sheep station in Australia. She had never seen a black sheep until she visited my parents who live in Hampshire. There is a particular field near them, where to my knowledge for the past 30 or more years, there has been a large mixed flock (no idea of the breeds) including black sheep grazing beneath ancient oaks, kept in by an old iron fence. Just up the road from me (Sussex) we also have a mixed flock. I was told when I was a girl that any fleece that wasn't white was worth less, so farmers didn't want them?
MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 33 posts

Postby Woodland Hen » 17 May 2013, 08:11

Hen-Gen wrote:Plan is to combine Zwartbles (colour, prolificacy and easy lambing), Shetland (hardiness) and Texel (carcass quality) into a strain of ewe and then to mate them to a Rouge de L'Ouest ram.
Always admired Llanwenogs but they are a very localised breed. None in Shetland.

Wow, that's a big project, hope it goes well, the lambs look lovely.
Luckily we are classic llanwenog country, being about 45 mins from the village of llanwenog :grin:
Barred Plymouth Rocks, Silver Pencilled and Partridge Wyandottes, 24 cows, 10 sheep, 3 horses, a cat, a dog..........always knackered!
Woodland Hen
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 43 posts

Postby Natchosdad » 17 May 2013, 09:22

put a bit of Dorset horn in the mix as well and you could get 3 crops in two years :P and they have pretty good carcass
Nick
North Warwickshire
Natchosdad
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 15 posts

Postby Hen-Gen » 17 May 2013, 09:54

Good idea, Natchosdad, but the climate/ grass growing season up here is so tough that I decided to go for one lanbing per year rather than three every two years. But I remember years ago down south some neighbours having about ten Dorset Horns and doing as you say and mighty attractive looking lambs they were.
If you have nothing
Give it away
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Postby laffinfowl » 17 May 2013, 10:34

Very nice stock Murray,best of luck with them,they,ll need to be as hardy as you to survive in your neck of the woods :)
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Postby Natchosdad » 17 May 2013, 17:23

Hen-Gen wrote:Good idea, Natchosdad, but the climate/ grass growing season up here is so tough that I decided to go for one lanbing per year rather than three every two years. But I remember years ago down south some neighbours having about ten Dorset Horns and doing as you say and mighty attractive looking lambs they were.

That is a problem I guess. I know a few years ago we looked at it as it would give you English Lamb at a prime price ... plus I love Dorset Horns especially the Rams with there head gear ... Luckily I never came across a nasty one :naughty
Nick
North Warwickshire
Natchosdad
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 15 posts

Postby iwilson » 17 May 2013, 20:09

sooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute
iwilson

Liked in: 1 post

Postby brooksidepoultry » 19 Apr 2014, 09:53

Wow v nice & hen-gen your very ambitious I'll just stick to pedigrees though & a few commercials - but would be interested as to the final result. (I do love zwarbles - their along with the cluns 1 of my favorite breeds) x x
A country lass who loves it all x.
brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 33 posts

Postby darkbrowneggs » 19 Apr 2014, 12:50

Looking good Hen Gen - I have always like the look of black animals and birds for some reason.

And 5 from 2 as well :thumbright: I take it the big ears come through from the Texel side?
To follow my travel journal see www.thebusphoebeandme.us For lots of info on keeping and breeding Marans see www.darkbrowneggs.info
darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 32 posts

Next

Return to Smallholder animals