Black is Beautiful

If you keep other animals for productive purposes, whether for meat, wool or bi-products, here's the area to chat. I mean, you do realise chickens are the gateway drug to other animals, don't you?

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Black is Beautiful

Postby MamaOwl » 19 Apr 2014, 16:59

I have land envy.. and Lamb envy... you are all so lucky to have enough room for all your desires... come on Lotto!!!
Mum to 5, (youngish lol) grandmother to 2.
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 219 posts

Postby Lindsay » 20 Apr 2014, 08:29

MrsMopp wrote: She had never seen a black sheep until she visited my parents who live in Hampshire.

O/T, but my older kids who grew up in New Zealand were the same with swans. Only black ones over there - they were so surprised the first time they saw a British white swan.
Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 85 posts

Postby Hen-Gen » 27 Apr 2014, 16:04

So a year on. Got nine lambs from five ewes last year and kept four of the six gimmers (the two other gimmers went to a neighbour for 'road testing'). The two castrates are growing on for my freezer come November and one ram lamb I left entire for future breeding. So no lambs this year as I'm growing on my females who will go to the ram this December. So here's my females:-Image
And here's my ram as a baby (with his mother). At a year old he as excellent conformation and an evil temper. :evil: (Summer, 2015 he'll be featuring as mutton chops! :grin: )Image
If you have nothing
Give it away

soufle likes this post.
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 117 posts

Previous

Return to Smallholder animals