stroppy mare

If you keep other animals for productive purposes, whether for meat, wool or bi-products, here's the area to chat. I mean, you do realise chickens are the gateway drug to other animals, don't you?

Moderator: Moderators

stroppy mare

Postby debcat » 22 May 2012, 02:00

Most of the time Callie is an absolute darling, apart from when she's in season :evil:
I've never had one that changes personality so much or so quickly, she just turns into a total tart!
last night was the first time they've ever stopped out all night, she was uncatchable and Alf wasn't about to leave her side (he's totally besotted)
I'm going to have to start her on something but after having geldings for years haven't a clue where to start or what would work best
any ideas??
we're all sane it's the rest of the world thats mad!
debcat

Liked in: 7 posts

Re: stroppy mare

Postby laffinfowl » 22 May 2012, 09:12

Regumate works very well,bit expensive but if they are a pain in the ass worth it,always wear gloves dispensing especially women either pregnant or planning on becoming in the future. ;)
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Postby hedgerow pete » 22 May 2012, 13:35

your going to have to be more specific at times as i have ateenage boy and we have the exact same problems with his girl friend, lol
hedgerow pete
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 1 post

Postby debcat » 23 May 2012, 01:42

Laffinfowl,
I'll look that one up, thanks

hedgerow,
it's not Alf that worries me, he's a rescue with major issues on being touched - he was really badly beaten before I got him. Alfs just Alf, he's never going to be ridable but he's got a safe home for life here. He won't be caught very easily but will follow me round the field and happily goes in his stable. He's one of those oddbods that you have to meet to understand because he's so hard to explain
Callie has one day every season when she is a total nightmare, she's a bit off the day before and the day after but that one day she just totally changes personality. She was broken at 7 and is still really green
They are brought in every night, apart from the other day when she still wouldn't be caught after 5 hours, the night after she was fine. I've not tried riding her on those days yet, but tried lunging once and its a nightmare.
I don't mind missing a day or so's riding but I do want them to come in at night so that we can carry on getting alf used to being around people
debcat

Postby hedgerow pete » 23 May 2012, 13:22

been there and know that one, used to ride myself, could never afford to own just a helper at stables, everyones a charector, some on the other hand belong to satan, especially shetland ponyies, normally refeered by me as sh i t land ponies, cant stand em, dog food that any stopped walking about,

worst i used to get was peoples hunters and pointers that had not been riden for a while, they were a nightmare to break back again, some used to completly forget every thing after a week !!

we now only deal with neurotic rescue whippets, the latest one merlin has the same problems, if someone goes for him its because he's about to get booted so he shifts rather rapidly to else where, 3 years old and was never toilet trained as he had never spent the day inside a house and was never trained in any way
hedgerow pete
Chick
Chick

Postby shire horse girl » 07 Jun 2012, 20:19

am fairly sure there is a "potion" called stroppy mare
shire horse girl
Hen
Hen

Postby Ilex Kent » 08 Jun 2012, 07:13

Angelic Mare works a treat you can only buy in from the company that makes it .
www.forestfarmacy.com .
The do a lot of herbal treatment for all sorts of horses and a great dog calmer one for fireworks , vets etc,
Ilex Kent

Postby yorkshire duck » 11 Jun 2012, 09:19

We have a stroppy mare on our yard ; she has a supplement from Hilton Herbs, can't remember what its called but you could always have a look on their website. Anyhow, it really seems to work with her, I've used the dog calmer remedies as well & would reccomend their products.
Chickens, ducks, geese, horses, dogs, cats & anything else that turns up on our doorstep won't be turned away.
yorkshire duck
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby NCOTB » 19 Jun 2012, 02:29

My tb was like this one day every season too, found it easiest just to leave her in the field til the next day when she would be back to normal. She did improve after she had a foal.
NCOTB
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 10 posts

Postby leoti1 » 16 Oct 2012, 12:52

when i had my mare who like yours was a real stroppy madam i used primrose oil capsules and they worked for her she was 15hh liver and white cob
leoti1

Postby debcat » 20 Oct 2012, 11:19

I've decided it's easier to leave her be for the day and let her get on with it
on the plus side Alf has now decided that the odd stroke is not too bad :grin:
just have to work out how to stop him demolishing fences now
debcat

Postby son of eddy » 20 Oct 2012, 18:46

debcat wrote:
just have to work out how to stop him demolishing fences now

When you've found a solution to that, put it up on here so I can use it for a 7 month old pup who is destroying my dining furniture. #-o
son of eddy
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 90 posts

Postby scottish vamps » 26 Dec 2012, 23:50

For the catching, a seriously tight routine helps. Ive never had a horse who wont be caught due to the fact i run a routine that never varies by more than 30mins. Global herbs makes a additive called stroppy mare or feed mark (love feed mark!) have a few different ones for each budget.
scottish vamps

Postby Pekinmum » 27 Dec 2012, 19:43

Hey I use to work in racing, many fillys that went sour during their season often had a marble type ball put in their uterus. It tricks their body into thinking they are pregnant... Just an idea... Id rather have a stallion any day ;) Regumate is very good. I use to ride a mare who had a very sensitive left ovary (we couldnt use our left leg when riding) so we put her on that and was great afterwards.
Pekinmum

Re: Does Florence have impacted crop?

Postby cristalz » 01 Jun 2013, 09:14

There was one thing I would like to know that NED doesn't make entirely clear - if a horse has died, is their record removed from the database or a date recorded for this? Sorry to ask a morbid question, but finding her record made me happy to think she's still with us.
cristalz

Return to Smallholder animals