Good life gluts

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

Good life gluts

Postby Woodland Hen » 01 Aug 2013, 09:11

Hi all, any idea of what to do with millions of broad beans? I have some frozen but we have loads and to be fair I don't really like them, have told OH there is no way we are growing so many next year.

Bottled 35 bottles of elderflower champagne last night, 20 jars of blackcurrent jam made at the weekend, 5 bottles black current cordial, now busy drying tomatoes.

I am limited on freezer space so need ideas that can be bottled etc. oh and any ideas what to do with 13 pheasants that are in the freezer?

Thanks!
M
Barred Plymouth Rocks, Silver Pencilled and Partridge Wyandottes, 24 cows, 10 sheep, 3 horses, a cat, a dog..........always knackered!

CP likes this post.
Woodland Hen
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 43 posts

Re: Good life gluts

Postby drfish » 01 Aug 2013, 09:37

Pickle them maybe? Might be an interesting twist to a salad.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby Henwife » 01 Aug 2013, 09:59

Dry them, grind them and add to the chicken food. The only way I really like broad beans is small, raw and straight from the plant.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby URCHIN » 01 Aug 2013, 13:18

I love broad beans!!! :D you can can them too. Lots if tips on YouTube, great with chestnuts later in the year.... Making me gingery now lol
URCHIN

Liked in: 1 post

Postby iwilson » 01 Aug 2013, 19:15

we too have made elderflower champagne ... 1st time ever this year so we are hoping it works well.
no suggestions for broad beans though .... we don't grow them,
but
this year our courgettes have grown and grown and grown so I have found 101 things to make with them
so far the kids favourite is lemon and courgette cake :) it is yummy
iwilson

Liked in: 1 post

Postby nigel » 01 Aug 2013, 21:58

A lot of North African and Middle Eastern dishes use broad beans. My personal favourite is falafel, a wonderful fried ball of yumminess
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use
-Kirkegaard
nigel
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 51 posts

Postby Woodland Hen » 03 Aug 2013, 16:39

Thanks all, I like the falafel idea.

Henwife, could I just Cook them and put some out everyday for the chooks? I too only like them really small.

We have courgettes coming out our ears but easy to use up:-)
Barred Plymouth Rocks, Silver Pencilled and Partridge Wyandottes, 24 cows, 10 sheep, 3 horses, a cat, a dog..........always knackered!
Woodland Hen
Pullet
Pullet

Postby Henwife » 03 Aug 2013, 18:07

No reason why not. The chicken will eat them whatever their size and turning them into eggs is far better than the compost bin.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby ladyplumber » 03 Aug 2013, 19:35

Woodland Hen wrote: oh and any ideas what to do with 13 pheasants that are in the freezer?

Spatchcock them and throw them on the barbie while we've still got barbie weather ! ( or post them to us ) :lol:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby organic chick » 06 Aug 2013, 17:18

You can make a nice garlicky dip. Follow a recipe for humous but use broad beans rather than chick peas. Add a little paprika too and serve with pitta bread
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Postby Woodland Hen » 08 Aug 2013, 18:33

Assume you need to cook them and take them out of the inner pod for that one? We could make 10 years worth:-)

On the plus side we tried the elderflower last night....oh yeah, going to be even better with a drop of blackberry or blackcurrent vodka in the bottom.
Woodland Hen
Pullet
Pullet

Return to Grow Your Own