When to move fruit

If you also want your own fruit and veg, as well as eggs and chickens, here's the area to discuss it.

Moderator: Moderators

When to move fruit

Postby Shonagh » 12 Jul 2013, 17:59

Does anyone know when the best time to move some very small red current bushes that only went in a month or two ago and some rasps that went in the end of last year.

I was going to have a fruit bed bit now realise how little space I have and want to move them to the dead space.

Thanks,

Shonagh
Shonagh
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 4 posts

Re: When to move fruit

Postby kated » 12 Jul 2013, 19:13

Late autumn early winter, when they are dormant. If they only went in a month ago, you might be able to dig up the currant bushes with lots of soil attached and replant them now, watering copiously. Keep watering daily for about a week. Risky though.

Shonagh likes this post.
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 85 posts

Postby iwilson » 13 Jul 2013, 22:10

I agree ... you would be best to wait
iwilson

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Henwife » 15 Jul 2013, 07:11

What one should do and what one actually does don't have to correspond. I'm given to transplanting things when it suits me on the basis that they'll probably survive. Dig holes & water well, add water retaining gell stuff to their soil, transfer in the evening with well watered roots, try to shade if it's a sunny spot, and either set a 'leaky pipe' to keep the soil damp, or/and water copiously morning and evening until they perk up and you can reduce watering.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby HelenVF » 15 Jul 2013, 09:20

I have moved a few things at the "wrong" time because it was either kill or cure. The majority of the things have thrived in their new position.

Having said that, it's not tooo long to wait until the "correct" time to move them. Depends how much you value them really.

Helen
HelenVF
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 14 posts

Postby drfish » 15 Jul 2013, 09:46

I moved a cherry tree about mid May, due to the garden re-shuffle. It was planted last year, and about 7feet tall, but not flowering yet, so I presumed it was still growing in the vegetative stage. Aside from forgetting to water it a few nights, and it getting slightly droopy, it's pulled through quite well and is now growing again.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Return to Grow Your Own