Not a recipe-a query?

Share your favourite poultry & egg related recipes.

Moderator: Moderators

podstable

Not a recipe-a query?

Post by podstable » 20 Sep 2011, 11:48

Every year I spend hours collecting and making crab apple jelly for a lovely elderly man down the lane. I make each batch exactly the same , some turns out fine then I get an ocassional batch that is full of tiny bubbles-these set in the jelly, dont matter to him, but Id just like to know what I do wrong when this happens? I have spent this morning collecting yet more as he is eating it faster than I can make it! :lol: Ros

lazaf

Re: Not a recipe-a query?

Post by lazaf » 20 Sep 2011, 13:26

Hi Podstable - I think it could be something to do with the temperature of the apples when you stew them. I think you need to be just above simmering temp because a rolling boil will cause air bubbles to form which may then get trapped? Not sure if this helps but cannot think of anything else.

podstable

Post by podstable » 20 Sep 2011, 13:56

---thanks Lazaf -must be something like that but I think must be in the second boil/sugar stage just because it sits around straining for so long?? Ros

lazaf

Post by lazaf » 20 Sep 2011, 14:15

Well if some batches come out okay and you are employing the same method each time then perhaps certain batches of apples have something to do with it.
it's a mystery but your friend seems to be enjoying it - bubbles or no bubbles :)

DB08
Pullet
Pullet

Post by DB08 » 21 Sep 2011, 22:19

I've had this with a batch of apricot jam this year... I think it's something to do with the pectin and not filling the jars fast enough.. Is it set quite firmly? :)
He's a lucky chap btw! :grin:

podstable

Post by podstable » 22 Sep 2011, 12:49

Yes--it sets fine ,this last batch was fine -Ros =D>