Pickled Eggs Anyone?

Share your favourite poultry & egg related recipes.

Moderator: Moderators

Pickled Eggs Anyone?

Postby madslg » 05 Feb 2006, 20:54

Does anyone have a recipe for pickled egg?

I have found one on the net but i would really like to try one that comes recommended....

Thanks...
madslg

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Knobby » 06 Feb 2006, 08:48

Bolied eggs, Vinegar, Jar.

:D
Knobby

Postby madslg » 06 Feb 2006, 09:29

:lol:
madslg

Postby CP » 07 Feb 2006, 11:39

Sorry no one seems keen on pickled eggs, Madslg. :?

I know the thought of them makes me go yuk! :puke:

Obviously you must like them to consider doing the pickling. Did you manage to find a recipe?
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby Knobby » 07 Feb 2006, 11:45

I DO have a recipe for them....but its at home, and I completly forgot to look it up last night ! :oops:
Knobby

Postby madslg » 07 Feb 2006, 18:39

I will look forward to it when you remember knobby! No hurry though as i understand that the eggs need to be at least a week old before they peel easily.

CP - i know they are one of those things you either love or loathe aren't they! Do you like marmite though? :-&
madslg

Postby CP » 07 Feb 2006, 19:10

madslg wrote:CP - i know they are one of those things you either love or loathe aren't they! Do you like marmite though?

Yes! :wink:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Postby madslg » 07 Feb 2006, 19:53

Well that just proves my point as i can't abide it!! :P
madslg

Postby Spana » 07 Feb 2006, 22:02

I've often thought it would be a good way to use up a lot of eggs, for when you haven't got many but what to you eat pickled eggs with. I've seen them in pubs and fish and chip shops or you used to see them, is that what they go best with, beer and chips with perhaps a dash of tomato sauce on the side :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spana

Postby Spana » 07 Feb 2006, 22:18

Just found this.
Pickled Eggs
Pickled eggs have been traditional pub fare ever since some early 19th century genius discovered that, like bread and cheese and cockles and mussels, they add a new dimension to a pint of ale. They are also excellent with salad and cold meat.
Perhaps they are not as common now, but it is still worth pickling a dozen or so for their delicate, creamy flavour. Country people still pickle small bantam eggs. The longer you leave them in the jar the better.

12 fresh eggs
Spiced malt or white vinegar
2 blades of mace
Hard boil the eggs for 10 minutes, giving them a stir during the first few minutes to centralise the yolks. Plunge in plenty of cold water.
When eggs are cool, shell carefully and pack loosely into clean glass os stone jars.
Cover with vinegar, add the mace.
Seal at once and keep for at least 3 weeks
Spana

Postby madslg » 08 Feb 2006, 07:41

Brilliant Jan, thanks!

I find that on their own as snack in passing is the best way to eat them! Or as your article points out with a pint in one hand!

Just about everyone i know turns their nose up at the thought of pickled eggs - i think i have weird taste buds.....

Sarah
madslg

Postby CP » 08 Feb 2006, 12:22

Not as weird as my OH - he'd probably love them, but then he also eats them raw! :shock:
Happy in Hampshire!

CP

Postby madslg » 08 Feb 2006, 12:27

Now, i am sorry but that is just gross!!
madslg

Postby CP » 08 Feb 2006, 12:32

I know!! :shock: :smt078
Happy in Hampshire!

CP

Postby Spana » 08 Feb 2006, 13:09

Yuk, makes pickles eggs sound almost tempting. Think I might have ago with a few bantam eggs and put them in small jars. At worst I can give them to the church fund raising events. :lol: :lol: :lol: Only joking, I quite fancy them now, I think useing little bants eggs might make all the difference.
Spana

Next

Return to Recipes