jam, spread, sauces and chutney

Share your favourite poultry & egg related recipes.

Moderator: Moderators

jaydee67
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by jaydee67 » 17 Aug 2008, 21:47

Gina's Lemon Curd

In the recipe I found it said you could use 4 eggs or 8 yolks which made it perfect for making on the same as merigue.

Ingredients
4 lemons, rind and juice
4 eggs
110g/4oz butter
450g/1lb sugar

Method
1. Grate rind of lemons and squeeze out juice. Put sugar, rind and juice, butter and beaten eggs into a large basin on top of a pan of simmering water. Stir with a wooden spoon until thick and curd coats the back of the spoon. Pour into warm sterile jars, cover, seal and label. Refrigerate.

debcat
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by debcat » 04 Sep 2008, 15:00

Egirls Butter

500mls cream
Salt to taste
Garlic
finely chopped parsley & chives

Whisk cream with electric whisk until fat separates from the buttermilk. Drain off buttermilk to use in baking.
When most of the buttermilk is drained off, rinse with cold water repeatedly. Use small amounts of cold water and whisk on a low setting (cover or you'll redecorate the kitchen!). I needed to rinse it about 7 times before I was sure all buttermilk was run off. This is vital to stop the butter going rancid.

Then add salt and herbs to taste. Wrap in cling film or greaseproof to freeze or refridgerate for immediate use.
we're all sane it's the rest of the world thats mad!

debcat
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by debcat » 07 Sep 2008, 19:57

James419s pumpkin marmalade

Plain Pumpkin Marmalade

1 kilo of pumpkin flesh
1 kilo of jam sugar
1 orange
1/2 lemon

Chop all the fruit/mince it - I use my magimix
(peel, pith and pips!!!)
Put in jam pan with the sugar
Gently heat till boiling stirring all the time
Let it boil for about 1/2 hour or until it sets on a cold saucer.
Bottle as usual for any jam

Pumpkin Marmalade with Cognac

Same ingredients as above
+ 1/10 litre white wine
This is added to the fruit and sugar and allowed to stand for 12 hours
Continue with the method
When cool and before putting into jars add 3 or 4 tablespoons of brandy
Mix well and bottle as usual
This is a little more runny!!!

EmmyGrey

World Famous Wini's Green Tomato and Lemon Marmalade

Post by EmmyGrey » 05 Oct 2008, 23:22

I posted this on another forum I go on and had back favourable reports so, as people are moaning about their green toms, do try this.

Equal quantities of green tomatoes and sugar (I use sugar with added pectin) For 1 kilo of fruit (same amount of sugar) I used two whole small lemons but it was quite tart and lemony so if you want a milder taste use less. Blitz up tomatoes and lemons in food processor, put in saucepan and cook for a short while then add sugar and proceed as normal for jam.

debcat
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by debcat » 04 Nov 2008, 19:43

Itsy's sweet chilli sauce
6oz chopped onion
1 - 2 cloves garlic
squeeze of tomato puree
3 fl oz vinegar
pinch of thyme
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1/4 pint chicken stock
1 x 14oz can plum tomatoes (chopped)
2 and a half oz sugar
pinch salt

Sweat the onions, add rest of ingredients stir till sugar has dissolved, simmer to reduce excess liquid until a nice saucy consistency. If there's too much there for 1 portion - which there will be, it will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks, or freeze if you won't use it that quickly, or jam jar it in small jars (see the rest of my other post)
Last edited by debcat on 04 Nov 2008, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

Itsybitsy

Post by Itsybitsy » 05 Nov 2008, 00:22

Shaheer's Mums Curry recipe

Well if an Asian can't make a good curry. . . who can?

3 Large Onions
Garlic
3 Tablespoons Tumeric
1 Tablespoon Garam Masala
1 Tablespoon Ground Coriander
2 Tins Tomatoes
Bayleaves
Lemon Juice
Creamed Coconut
Oil

Peel the onions and slice, fry in the oil till brown, add chopped garlic, reduce heat, add Tumeric, Garam Masala and Coriander, stir well and cook a little, add the tinned tomatoes - chop them first if they are not already, add a dash of lemon juice and up to 1 block of creamed coconut or 1 tin of coconut milk and 3 or 4 bayleaves. Simmer gently for about half an hour. Season to taste.

This is the basic sauce.

I would them split it into 3 and using 3 casseroles in one put chicken portions, in another put potatoes and in the final one maybe something like spinach and aubergine. In one of the casseroles I then put a couple of chopped Chillies, another gets Star Anise and the final one gets some crushed Cardamon Pods, pour the sauce over and cook in the oven for about 90 minutes.

This of course makes a lot of curry, another alternative is to split the basic sauce into whatever useable quantities you want and freeze it

debcat
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Re: jam, spread, sauces and chutney

Post by debcat » 22 Jan 2009, 14:56

Chris Somerset's Passion fruit curd

Here is the recipe for the passion fruit curd:
Ingredients:
- grated rind and juice of 2 lemons (last time I used 1 lemon and 2 limes and l thought the taste was a bit softer which I preferred)
- 115gr/4oz unsalted butter, diced
- 275gr/10oz caster sugar
- 4 passion fruit (I always take big ones and the wrickeled ones are the ones you need - they are sweeter)
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks

1* Place the lemon rind and juice in a large heatproof bowl and add the butter and sugar
2* Halve the passion fruit and scoop the seeds into a sieve set over the bowl. Press out all the juice and discard the seeds
3* Place the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water and stir occasionally until the sugar has dissolved and the butter melted
4* Beat the eggs and egg yolks together and add to the bowl, pouring them through a sieve, then stir well constantly over the heat until the mixture thickens and lightly coats the back of a spoon
5* Pour the curd into small warmed sterilized jars, cover and seal. Store in a cool, dark place, preferably in the fridge and use within 3 months. Once opened, store in the fridge

I tried the grapefruit version as well. It is a bit more tangy. I used the red ruby grapefruit.
The method is just the same and the ingredients for this one are:
- finely grated rind and juice of 1 grapefruit
- 115gr/4oz unsalted butter, diced
- 200gr/7oz caster sugar
- 4 large eggs

debcat
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by debcat » 02 Aug 2009, 16:40

Spana's Courgette and Pineapple jam

This is a recipe I've adapted from an old book and its worked good enough for everyone to be eating it without going YUK. I've made it several times now and its worked each time so here goes.

1lb 12oz or there abouts peeled courgettes. If really big take out seeds before weighing
Juice 2 lemons
1 tin Tesco value pineapple pieces, drained. The tin says 540g, drained weight 340g
1 bag Silver Spoon Jam Sugar with added pectin.

Put peeled courgettes in food processor and blast until almost chopped. Add drained pineapple and give a short blast to finish. It needs to be fine but not too fine but not pulp.
Scrape into jam pan, add lemon juice and sugar. Give it a good stir to get the juices running. Put on a low heat and stir until all the sugar granules have melted then bring to boil and boil fast for 4 minutes only. That's it. Pot into hot sterilized jars and seel.
Its not bad, honest
This is it,

debcat
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by debcat » 03 Aug 2009, 15:46

Gilly C's Recipe for Apple & Mint Jelly:

Get ahold of: 3lb. Bramley Apples
LARGE bunch fresh mint
15 fl.oz. cider apple vinegar
Added Pectic Jam Sugar
2-4 tblsps. finely chopped fresh mint

1. Put the Apples in a heavy-based pan with enough water to cover them. Add the large bunch of mint and then bring to the boil and simmer until the apples are soft (about 30 mins?).

2. Add the cider apple vinegar and cook for a further 5 minutes.

3. Remove from the heat, put the contents of the pan into a jelly bag and allow to drip into another container overnight.

4. Measure the liquid and put in a pan with sugar, allowing three-quarters of a pound (my personal weight tip, NOT a pound...) of sugar to each one pint of liquid.

5. Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved and then boil briskly until setting point . Remove any scum, obviously.... yuk.

6. Turn off the heat and cool slightly before stirring in the freshly chopped mint.

7. Pot into small cooled, sterilised jars, cover and label

this is not green like commercial stuff 1 of my friends adds food colouring ! :roll:

debcat
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by debcat » 03 Aug 2009, 15:47

Gilly C's Recipe for Mint Sauce

150ml/ 1/4pint mint
300ml 1/2pint vinegar
6oz demerara sugar
chop the mint finely and press down firmly until you have enough boil sugar and vinegar together boil 2 mins and mint leave til cold then bottle
to use add more vinegar

I add finely chopped onion and or spring onion or chives and some finely chopped lettuce now wilt with a little boiling water before adding mint then taste sometimes it needs a little more sugar , this is how my MIL made it and how we like it

lazaf

Post by lazaf » 13 May 2010, 14:48

These all sound scrumptious. I have a simple recipe for gooseberries.

Half pan full of gooseberry jam (you can top and tail, I sometimes do and sometimes not but not much difference really).
White Sugar (I don’t use jam sugar for this as there is plenty of natural pectin)
Rosewater
Cinnamon

I heat the gooseberries until hot in the pan and until the skin bursts slightly. Keep stirring to prevent sticking/burning. It's best to have it on a medium flame. When the berries are soft and mushy I add cinnamon (2 cm stick) and stir well again. Then add sugar (equal to amount of gooseberries in weight (shocking I know). emulsify and towards the end add a tablespoon of rosewater which you can get from any Indian food store. The pot up once cooled a little and enjoy. The jam is a lovely pink colour and really good with ice-cream.

Faz
:)

lazaf

Post by lazaf » 13 May 2010, 14:52

Sorry I meant to say half a pan of gooseberries and that this was a recipe for gooseberry jam! :-k