books on duck keeping

Got a recommended book for other chicken keepers - suggest it here.

Moderator: Moderators

books on duck keeping

Postby sbeau66 » 08 Dec 2011, 21:07

can anyone recommend a good book on rearing and keeping ducks, please
sbeau66

Liked in: 1 post

Re: books on duck keeping

Postby lazaf » 30 Dec 2011, 22:42

Hi sbeau66,

You could try this book by Katie Thear which you can get from Amazon "Starting with Ducks ". It seems like a good one to start with. You can also order some duck books from your local library so if some aren;t as good then at least you haven;t forked out loads and if there is a good one then you could buy it to have around the house.
lazaf

Postby ambyglam » 31 Dec 2011, 01:27

Just go onto amazon and type in duck and see what comes up, because there isnt much x
ambyglam

Postby nigel » 31 Dec 2011, 06:33

I really like this one

The Domestic Duck

By Chris and Mike Ashton
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use
-Kirkegaard
nigel
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 51 posts

Postby Henwife » 31 Dec 2011, 08:52

Try the duck section of Domestic and Ornamental Fowl by Valerie Porter. 2nd hand copies are still fairly easy to come by, and it's a mine of information. Although I have done a failry drastic weed of my collection of poultry books, that one has earned it's place on the shelf.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby Captain Carrot » 31 Dec 2011, 20:24

lazaf wrote:Hi sbeau66,

You could try this book by Katie Thear which you can get from Amazon "Starting with Ducks ". It seems like a good one to start with. You can also order some duck books from your local library so if some aren;t as good then at least you haven;t forked out loads and if there is a good one then you could buy it to have around the house.

Katie Thear books are alright, I have the goat and quail books, and as I recall the prices are not too bad.

I also have a couple of small National Trust books, pigs, sheep and beekeeping. The info inside is sound, but just not that much of it. I think there is also one on ducks. I remeber the books being fairly cheep so worth a look.
Altsteirer, Bielefelders, Welsummer bantams, Silkies and Muscovy ducks (sold a load of them :) )
Captain Carrot
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 0 post

Return to Recommended Books