Vet fees

Anything totally off-topic and chatty can go here, without any worries.

Moderator: Moderators

Vet fees

Postby MamaOwl » 01 Mar 2015, 09:35

Am in a grump this morning...

Arranged to have my female cat speyed at a local vets. Young girl on the 'phone said it would cost £40.

When we collected the cat the nurse had put a buster collar on her, I'd never had one put on a neutered cat before so asked if there was a problem and she said no it's for just in case... I asked how much they were or are they included in the speying and she replied to my husband and me that it was included.
She then handed us some Metacam and again I asked how much and is it included... we aren't rich... I can't afford things that I can do without.... she again confirmed that it was included... to which both my husband and I said "Oh that's cool, we didn't get anything with our other cats!"

I then went to reception and paid my £40 cheque in, the receptionist looked at it, smiled and said thank you.

Two days later we went in for her post op check... nothing was said about any money due, I booked for my other cat to be chipped and asked if they have had any reports of our missing tom.. sadly he had been found by their nurse... rather dead... she said we could let them cremate him for £58!!!!!! Or we could take him home, I said we would take him but on Monday. NO ONE said anything about money due.

Monday we collect Inky and again no one mentions any outstanding bills.

9 days after the cats operation we get an invoice for £28 outstanding for the operation, £14 (OMG!!!) for the Metacam .. 3ml £14 ???? and £3 for the collar.

So I write to them to complain, to say my contract with them was for £40 and nothing else.

I get a reply saying the Nurse who handed us the collar and meds wouldn't have said they were included... LIES.. and that the receptionist wouldn't have said the lower fee of £40... LIES

So now I am sat here wondering how to word my next letter and feeling really cross that people lie. OK so the receptionist may have made a mistake on the telephone.... but the 2nd one who took the cheque didn't bat an eyelid when she looked at it, didn't ask where the other £28 was.. just nodded and said thank you.

The nurse however was asked twice if what she was handing us was included in the operation costs and twice she said yes.

:x :angryfire: :tard:
Mum to 5, (youngish lol) grandmother to 2.

CP likes this post.
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 219 posts

Re: Vet fees

Postby organic chick » 01 Mar 2015, 10:53

Will PM you.
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Postby MamaOwl » 01 Mar 2015, 13:08

Got your PM.... would have done as you suggest but I have spent the morning trawling through their Terms and Conditions and low and behold I find that they are in breach of THREE of their points.. so... a letter to Trading Standards who already have a case number for this but have been waiting for me to get a reply, has been sent via email....

Their clinical director mentions the T&C several times in his letter.... well the T&C clearly state that all fees MUST be paid on the day. Well we were led to believe we had paid in full as the receptionist accepted our payment and ended the transaction by saying thank you, good bye, see you in two days for the cats check-up. FAIL

The T&C also state NO credit is available... well it seems they have granted us credit.. however, I was not asked to read any credit agreement or asked to sign one.... FAIL

It also states that should an invoice need to be generated due to outstanding payments a £18 fee will be added... well I have had TWO invoices generated now and neither of them includes a fee... FAIL

So, all in all they are liars and fraudsters.. They can't hold us responsible for a credit agreement we have no knowledge of and our contract with them was for an all inclusive operation costing £40 which they accepted on the day of pick-up / payment.. so foo bar them!

grrr once I get over the initial "oohh I am p*ssed off!" thing then I start to dig and boy do I dig...

organic chick likes this post.
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Hen-Gen » 01 Mar 2015, 17:46

Gotta admire your perseverance. Irrespective of the merits of the case, I'd have probably given in and paid up.
The subject got me thinking about the whole nature of greed. If someone uses their superior physical strength or beauty to capitalise on the worlds resources then people tend to disrespect them. But if they use their superior intellectual skills to do the same thing then society considers that to be OK.
Through that genetic lottery to which we are all subject I was gifted with the skills that enabled me to sail through the educational system and achieve qualifications up to post-graduate level. And yet never in my entire working life did I ever earn ais much as the national average wage. Some remnant of my 60s hippy upbringing always made the acquisition of wealth feel distasteful. I realise that vets have heavy outgoings in terms of drugs, equipment etc but we all know that the average vet lives very comfortably indeed.
A plague on all their houses, I say.
If you have nothing
Give it away

2 people like this post.
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby MamaOwl » 01 Mar 2015, 17:53

Charge what you will.. earn what you will.. but do it openly and with consent of your customers.

One cant say £40 and then decide that actually it was £86!! It's not even as if it was a small oversight.. it was more than double!

He thinks I am but a dreadlocked, tattooed hippie who has cats and hens.... he has no idea what letters I also could stand to attention after my name but choose not to.... arrogance and greed and a a huge superiority syndrome are to blame.

Not to mention the fact he has his minions working to confuse and mislead customers hoping they can't rub a brain cell together to figure out his little "pay for my Jaguar" deeds.....

A plague on all their capitalist genitals I say!!!
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MamaOwl » 01 Mar 2015, 17:54

of course if I don't win this battle then a mini plague of £46 paid out will be on me!

BUT I will not think of such things... I am right! they fail.....
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ladyplumber » 01 Mar 2015, 18:40

Cut and dried ......... you win in my opinion. Idiots :roll:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

MamaOwl likes this post.
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby MamaOwl » 01 Mar 2015, 19:16

ladyplumber wrote:Cut and dried ......... you win in my opinion. Idiots :roll:

ahhh see .. I like you! lol

ladyplumber likes this post.
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Moriarty » 02 Mar 2015, 08:00

Sometimes confrontation doesn't win, but shaming someone does ..... perhaps the wording of your letter might not take the "you told me it was this despite me asking" but maybe a gentler "After being quoted how much it was, and enquiring several times if that was the final figure, I budgeted to pay that amount. It's not a huge amount to you, but to me it represents making cuts and savings in my household budget. So I'm hugely disappointed to find that the final bill includes items that were quoted as inclusive ... "

perhaps something along that line. A little disappointment and shame can be a gentler cudgel ...
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..
Moriarty

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby MamaOwl » 02 Mar 2015, 10:42

I tried the gentle approach appealing to their kinder nature and mentioning how rigidly I have to budget. The reply was cold and emotionless.. Basically my staff dont lie and haven't mislead anyone, pay up.

So it's now in the hands of Trading Standards... £45 is nothing to them... it's a weeks food shopping for me!

Moriarty likes this post.
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby drfish » 03 Mar 2015, 16:16

Bloody hell, where do you get a weeks food shopping for £48. I must use this shop :lol:

I think my beer kitty is more than that :drunken:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby Henwife » 04 Mar 2015, 10:38

I take for granted that you won't be using that vet practice again. I don't understand why they thought your cat neeeded either a collar or Metacam as those would be extras in most vet practices anyway. We have three local vet practices - one is brilliant, one is so-so, and the third cuts corners, overcharges and has had several severe complications and/or deaths which should not have happened, but are dirt cheap, (which might account for the foregoing). The best also allows staged payments by arrangement. If you are in receipt of any types of benefit, the Cats Protection League has a scheme to assist with cat neutering too, though I don't know whether this is only through specified vets. I no longer have any cats having reached the stage of finding them a trip hazard.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

MamaOwl likes this post.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Return to George's Lounge