Looking for inspiration

Anything totally off-topic and chatty can go here, without any worries.

Moderator: Moderators

Looking for inspiration

Postby drfish » 19 Jan 2015, 12:35

Next year, around July/August, my wife and I (and kids, I suppose) are looking for a nice holiday destination, something a little special. It's our 10th wedding anniversary, the wife's birthday, and my 40th birthday within 16 days of each other, so we thought we'd push the boat out a bit and do something a little more memorable than Tenerife et al.

Looking for some suggestions really, but to summarise:
Ideally within 10 hours of flying time (kids + planes = me having a headache)
Somewhere sanitary (the missus doesn't like the idea of roughing it or slumming it)
Somewhere friendly and able to cater for kids well (ages 9, 8 and 2 at the time)
Ideally not too expensive when you're there (i.e. anything less than £4 a pint will do ;) )
And hot. Damn hot. So hot, you could fry an egg in my shorts. (we both like 40c, I can always chuck the kids in a pool)

So, get at me, give me something to ponder. So far, Miami/Florida is looking favourite, but I've been to Florida before (wife and kids haven't).

Also, forgot to add, we have decided (finally) to stop smoking, and put all the money we would have spent on ciggies into the holiday fund. Working it out, it'll save approx £3000-4000 over the next 18 months. :thumbright: =D>
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

CP likes this post.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: Looking for inspiration

Postby kated » 19 Jan 2015, 14:48

drfish likes this post.
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby drfish » 19 Jan 2015, 15:38

Cheers Kate, shall put it forth to the gaffer for consideration. Never heard of that before to be honest. It has the magic words too, wedding. Forgot to add, the missus wants us to renew our vows. Or, as she stated during the wedding ceremony, vowels. I'm still happy with A, E, I, O and U, personally :mrgreen:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

CP likes this post.
drfish

Postby jillychick » 19 Jan 2015, 15:53

We went to the Caribbean nearly 2 years ago it was fab, hot, and cheep for drinks food etc I cried CU's I wanted to stay. Open a rum shack live on the beach on Coconuts and bananas but hubby dragged me home kicking and screaming life has never been the same since.
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.
jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 193 posts

Postby drfish » 19 Jan 2015, 17:26

I must admit, I've always liked the lure of the Caribbean, but never really looked into it. See, myself and the missus would be quite happy to soak up UV at the side of the pool all day, and go a wander by night, but with kids in tow, it's not going to ever work that way :-)

The missus suggested the Maldives until I pointed out it's a 10 hour flight, and in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Postby MamaOwl » 19 Jan 2015, 17:41

WELL DONE for quitting smoking!!!!

We always go to my home village in the Czech republic for the middle of August... they have a week long village feast with plenty of food and wine and the temperatures are always 27'C and up.... It's cheap as chips to stay there too and a wek long festival / party atmosphere... can't beat it!

oh and flights are about £19 each return to Brno!

http://www.cejkovice.cz/ please don't beret me about the translations.. I have told them on numerous occasions!! lol

anyway... something different and only 2 hours away from door to door...
Mum to 5, (youngish lol) grandmother to 2.

CP likes this post.
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 219 posts

Postby CP » 20 Jan 2015, 02:24

"Welcome to the village of foreign countries." LOL!!

How about California? (About 11 hours flying time.) ;)

Deffo would like to do Cali, that's on my bucket list. But that's more for when we start our world tour I think, minus the ankle biters. Bit too hectic for the kids. Same with Vegas, would love to go there, but again, not ideally geared up for kids.
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

drfish likes this post.
CP

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby MamaOwl » 20 Jan 2015, 09:06

I know... see I read it in Czech so don't notice it until I take a look at the English translation!! "Somebody that wants to see period".. I mean wtf? It should say "For those interested in the historical notes of Karl Hlinec"
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby drfish » 20 Jan 2015, 13:04

I've actually always wanted to do the Czech Republic, mainly because of the pittance cost of alcohol :-) Oh, and I suppose 'coz I'm a wannabe photographer and there's lots of interesting stuff to get clicky clicky with. Bizarrely, we'll no doubt end up doing a beach holiday of some description, despite neither of us liking the beach. But, the kids do, unfortunately. Can't be doing with all that sand in ya whatsits though. When we went to Newquay last year, we managed about 2 hours on the beach, 40 minutes of which was trying to get the boys back into their clothes, while moist and covered in sand. Never fun!

I'd quite like to do Sharm el Sheik though, mainly for the snorkeling side of things. But that begins to fall into the "3rd world" category unless you stay confined to your resort, or go on the organised excursions. (no offence, people of Egypt :lol: )

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Postby MamaOwl » 20 Jan 2015, 18:42

The Hody I mentioned up there is a total family fest.... aww.... beaches always win! I'd rather piss it up in Cejkovice!! lmao
MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Henwife » 22 Jan 2015, 10:45

Cyprus. English speaking, child friendly, good beaches, safe bathing and only a four hour flight. My other choice would be Oman for much the same reasons, but it's expensive now. (I was there before it opened for tourism).
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

drfish likes this post.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby drfish » 22 Jan 2015, 11:36

We've been to Cyprus before, and have to admit, I would like to go again. We did the Paphos end last time, but I'd like to try Protaros or Larnaca. Larnaca is very 'up & coming' at the moment, as they're pushing to make it a little more attractive to tourism, rather than just a day trip kind of town. The missus did actually suggest it as a potential runner :lol:

Last time we went was pre-kids. It does hold a special attraction too as it was our first proper holiday as a couple. Any my god, was it hot. 56c in the airport on the last day, never dropped below 30c the entire two weeks we were there, and that's including overnight. Most days averaged around mid 40's though :slurp

It aint hot, it's daaaaaamn hot!

My old man was in the air force based in Cyprus for 3 years back in the 60's. There's a good chance I have some siblings over there I've never met too ;)

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Postby Hen-Gen » 22 Jan 2015, 15:12

Temperatures in the 40s !!!
Please tell me you are joking?

Am I going to have to holiday in the Lofoten Islands?
If you have nothing
Give it away

drfish likes this post.
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby drfish » 22 Jan 2015, 18:26

Don't get me wrong, I'd happily go there too HG :lol:

I just like it hot, and the missus is naturally a little olive skinned. I burn to a subtle shade of lobster usually. Granted, we tend to make like the locals and siesta for an hour or two by the pool during the hot part of the day, but I do like to feel searing heat, rather than mid 20's and humid like we get here. No danger of humidity in Cyprus :lol:

The boys, despite being gingers, both coped really well in Lanzarote and Gran Canaria, hitting temps of mid 30's and low 40's respectively, smothered in factor 50. Not sure how babba will cope, but she'll be well shaded and out of direct sun. I've always been of the opinion though that in this washout of a country, it's always nice to have some wall to wall baking sun. Even if I usually end up suffering at some point.

Although, I did manage to get 1st degree burns on my shoulders, and 2nd degree burns (with enormous puss filled blisters) on my legs after a water skiing jolly, in Exeter. Just goes to show, you can wake and bake quite well in this country. The 5 hour drive home in my pants was no fun at all though :shock: :lol:

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Postby organic chick » 23 Jan 2015, 10:15

Sounds like some good Ideas coming in for you. I can't help with this one as I backpack independently, last biggie was 4000 miles through China then on to Tassie and Oz. Great fun. Currently planning 3 month road and rail trip to USA and Canada. Croatia is recommended by several of my friends. They felt very welcome.

Impressed with the stopping smoking!! =D> I last had a ciggie over 43 years ago now and I remember buying a little blue Mini with my savings. Well worth the effort.
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

CP likes this post.
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Next

Return to George's Lounge