My travel journal -Not certain if I ever posted this

Anything totally off-topic and chatty can go here, without any worries.

Moderator: Moderators

jaydee67
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: My travel journal -Not certain if I ever posted this

Post by jaydee67 » 13 Mar 2014, 21:57

I have pm'ed you my phone number, please phone me, I live in Voe and work in Ollaberry.

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 14 Mar 2014, 17:40

Loving it!

If you want someone to convert the blog into a wordpress I don't mind.. I do it for a living but will gladly do it gratis for you?
Mum to 5, grandmother to 2, wife to 1

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 14 Mar 2014, 19:15

OMG I haven't cooked dinner and now Hubby is having to do it as I am hooked on your ruddy blog!!!!

I'm only on entry 18!!!!

If you ever come to Essex I simply MUST meet you!

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 14 Mar 2014, 22:38

I have been reading on and off since last night. I think now she's on the road, the posts are coming through much quicker. I am at post 54.
I hope you get to meet Julia and Sue, it would be good to hear about that.
If you're heading this way this year or next, let me know :grin:

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 14 Mar 2014, 22:53

Sue ? who is Sue? I haven't got that far... don't spoil the movie!!! lol

See now I see her falling in love with a lovely lady called Sue and they travel and blog together and.... ahhh shhhh NO SPOILERS!!! LMAO!!

darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Post by darkbrowneggs » 15 Mar 2014, 00:22

Hi All - Its ME - SUE! - and sorry Mama Packer - but I can't imagine me falling for a lovely lady - still I suppose I couldn't have imagined me travelling round in a bus, so who knows :lol:

I have given myself a day off today to try and shake off this bug, and so have been lazy though have been looking for otters. I am parked about 15inches from the pebbly shore running down to the sea about 15 yards away. The harbour wall is supposed to have an otter holt in it, but it has been a pretty filthy day, so I think if they have any sense they will have stayed in bed.

I think I saw a flight of Leach's Petrels - anyone know anything about seabirds - having been a landlubber all my life they are a complete mystery to me. There were a fast flying group of about 10, not such long tails as swallows and a bit fatter. Rushed past me following the shoreline .

I have taken the opportunity of planning the next couple of days though I don't like anything to be too hard and fast planned in advance. I intend taking the ferry to Whalsey where apparently there is a huge commercial fishing fleet, but mooching round the coast before the ferry. Staying over on the Sat. then heading towards Voe, so hopefully might be able to meet up with Julia sometime between now and the Up Helly Aa. I will phone her tomorrow

So pleased you are all enjoying it - it makes it worth the effort of writing it somehow - and yes please Mama Packer if you ever have time I would love to have it converted to something easier for folk to read. The programme I am using is a bit irritating as it keeps moving the words and photos then I have to go back and move them round again.

I intended to add more piccies today, but as I say I am being a bit lazy - and I don't want the whole thing to become a chore, I have spent too much of my life doing things I would have preferred not to have to do, but so far I have enjoyed the writing and putting on the photos. I have to say the photos I am taking really don't do justice to the beauty of the scenery up here. Yesterday (or was it the day before :-) - I drove along the west coast of Yell and the sun was shining and the colours were so sharp and the views so far reaching - well I can hardly describe it - but if you ever have the time to come to Shetland it is well worth the effort.
To follow my travel journal see www.thebusphoebeandme.us For lots of info on keeping and breeding Marans see www.darkbrowneggs.info

jaydee67
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by jaydee67 » 17 Mar 2014, 19:57

As I was driving home from work today I spotted thebus coming towards me. I waved like mad and then realised Sue had no way of knowing it was me! So, I turned around and followed her - her first (and last I hope) Shetland stalker! Sue kindly pulled off the road into a passing place to let the cars behind her get past once she was on a single track road, as thebus is left hand drive and she had pulled to the right it was easy to pull alongside introduce myself through vehicle windows. I had a lovely cup of coffee and a treacle pancake in the company of Sue and Phoebe and hopefully they are going to visit us at school in the next day or two. Thebus is amazing, every mod con including a washing machine!

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Post by Hen-Gen » 18 Mar 2014, 10:24

Sue was here the weekend before last. Lovely lady and a dog that radiated calm stateliness. Wonderful guest and subsequently sent gifts (DVD and book) and also left two packs of excellent, fresh ground coffee. Needless to say Thebus was the talk of the island. She even braved the Hall bar on the Saturday night where she met one or two of the more 'colourful' characters though I whisked her away before things got rowdy! :grin:
Good luck with your travels, Sue, and I expect a postcard from Barcelona! (the Gothic Quarter)
If you have nothing
Give it away

darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Post by darkbrowneggs » 19 Mar 2014, 21:49

Hi all - back online though not certain how long it will last. I have got the Fetlar page up though there are more photos to go on

I took Thebus over to Julias school today. Phoebe met all the children then they all packed into the bus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
To follow my travel journal see www.thebusphoebeandme.us For lots of info on keeping and breeding Marans see www.darkbrowneggs.info

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 19 Mar 2014, 22:03

awesome!

hoosier
Pullet
Pullet

Post by hoosier » 22 Mar 2014, 12:49

That is fantastic that you did that. I can just imagine their joy and the ideas you triggered in their heads.

darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Post by darkbrowneggs » 25 Mar 2014, 19:58

Hi again - have an internet connection at present so have managed a few more pages, and if it holds up will add more tonight :wave:

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Post by Hen-Gen » 26 Mar 2014, 10:47

Really enjoyed your account/pictures of your experiences on Whalsay. I've never been there but the two things I've heard on the gossip vine are:-
1) The accent is so strong that even other Shetlanders struggle to understand them

and

2) There are more millionaires there than the rest of Shetland put together.
If you have nothing
Give it away

darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Post by darkbrowneggs » 13 Aug 2014, 21:53

Sorry I haven't been updating the journal, I seem to have endless internet and laptop problems, plus niggly things on Thebus. All in all it seems to have soaked up my time and I still haven't mastered the new programmes for photos etc

But have been having a great time. Shetland to West Highlands. Outer Hebrides to Stonehenge for the Soltice. Cornwall - Lands End, Penzance, St Ives and the Minack Theatre. Midlands and Cropredy Festival. Now headed for Norfolk.

When I get things sorted there is masses to put on the journal

Will post when up and running properly again. :oops:

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 13 Aug 2014, 23:14

Lovely to hear you're still having a great time on your travels Sue and looking forward to updates on the blog.